General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles on a evo 1340 before rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Maintained right I'd say 200k...

Old 01-23-2010, 07:02 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just cleened my screen , only found one plug but it must have been the right one it had the screen under it , any way like 5 min or less peace of cake to do ,mine was clean but nice to know about it and will keep it clean , also looks like could be a leak spot if that o-ring go's bad

Old 01-23-2010, 08:02 AM
drjones
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
drjones...will replacement tappet rollers wear out around the same mileage?

I've got some pretty good tick / clatter comin from that side...probably time to do those.

Is that a job a fairly inexperienced wrench can do?
Depending on what year your motor is, the tappet rollers are not replaceable. My guess is 1993 there about, MO CO went to a bigger axle in the wheel, but the roller out side diameter is the same. The aftermarket replacement wheels (Crane, or others) are made for the 1984-1992 style tappets. When it comes to replacing the rollers, you can take them out, but I would recommend taking them to a shop that has the tool to do the job properly. The axle has to be swaged into the tappet body, and the center of the roller must be captured by the axle so that it will not move (rotate). I had done a few sets back in the late 80's and early 90's by using a ball peen hammer and peening the axle, but in a couple of hundred miles, the axle failed. It failed because the axle had not captured the center race of the bearing, allowing it to spin, and it wore the axle out. So I went and bought the special tool to do the job, and haven't had any problems since. Harley dealers don't usually have the tool, as they just replace the tappets as an assembly.
I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here, as it is a little difficult to explain. But if you look at your replacement tappet rollers, you will see the outside roller, the tiny needle bearings, and the inside roller, or race, and last, the axle. The axle has to be swaged so the inside roller, or race does not spin. I hope this helps you out. TJ

Old 01-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Bushrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Depends ....

Originally Posted by dog155
It is well documented that well maintained,properly treated Evo's will easily eclipse the 100k number.Have fun.

If you're doing a lot of hwy riding in cooler temps your service interval might be a little longer. Stopngo riding in town means higher operating temps and lubes will break down sooner. Lots of cold starts without adequate warm up doesn't help service life either. My old beater just turned over 100,000km ('bout 60,000 miles) with no major issues. I had a couple electrical issues last season. 99% of my riding is at hwy speed and therefore high RPM. All the vibration caused the contacts in my ignition switch to wear a little loose and the bike would start seriously missing after an hour or so of hard going. It was a bitch to track down though and my dealer finally ended up putting it on the dyno to duplicate the hwy riding conditions. It still makes max hp @ 66.65 and max torque @79.51. Then I had a problem with the oil system overpressuring and popping the oil cap (and hot oil) out and all over my ***. That took a while to figure out too. I had a check valve on the crankcase breather line (in 1988 they didn't vent the crankcase into the AC). The check valve plugged up causing the system to overpressure. Anyway, before we finally figured that out, the wrench thought maybe I had a busted piston or ring and the blowby was causing the excess pressure. I got him to do a compression test and both holes were good. Frustrating but good to know in the end.

Anyway just take good care of it, ride it safely and have fun!

Old 01-23-2010, 01:34 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drjones
Depending on what year your motor is, the tappet rollers are not replaceable. My guess is 1993 there about, MO CO went to a bigger axle in the wheel, but the roller out side diameter is the same. The aftermarket replacement wheels (Crane, or others) are made for the 1984-1992 style tappets. When it comes to replacing the rollers, you can take them out, but I would recommend taking them to a shop that has the tool to do the job properly. The axle has to be swaged into the tappet body, and the center of the roller must be captured by the axle so that it will not move (rotate). I had done a few sets back in the late 80's and early 90's by using a ball peen hammer and peening the axle, but in a couple of hundred miles, the axle failed. It failed because the axle had not captured the center race of the bearing, allowing it to spin, and it wore the axle out. So I went and bought the special tool to do the job, and haven't had any problems since. Harley dealers don't usually have the tool, as they just replace the tappets as an assembly.
I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here, as it is a little difficult to explain. But if you look at your replacement tappet rollers, you will see the outside roller, the tiny needle bearings, and the inside roller, or race, and last, the axle. The axle has to be swaged so the inside roller, or race does not spin. I hope this helps you out. TJ
I apologize...I got confused...gotta go look up what a tappet roller is. I thought it was the bearing on the end of the hydraulic lifter...I was talkinga bout just replacing the entire lifter mechanism...

oh, I see I was right...you were just talking about replacing the roller itself. Seems "easier" to just replace the entire thing. My buddy has a set of am he'll sell me for $50...pretty sure mine need it.

thanks!

Last edited by JustDave71; 01-23-2010 at 01:36 PM.