General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT question for diy'ers

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
lunatikfringe
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SERT question for diy'ers

Greetings to All! I have a question for DIY'ers about the SE SERT. My dealer does not have a dyno. Did any of you DIY'ers install the SERT youself. I have a 2009 SG with the 103" stage 2 kit with SE slip on mufflers. I had the install done when I bought the bike. Does the SERT come with canned programs to download or does it have to be custom tuned? My dealer did the download and the bike has a ping when hot. I was wonder if I could do a canned download until I can find someone to do a custom Dyno tune. Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The whole point of he SERT/SEST is to custom tune it to your bike. I'd find a qualified/recommended SERT tuner and get as much out of your build as you can.
IMO a canned tune should only be something for a short period(very short) just to give you time to get to a SERT tuner.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can find a map for your sert that someone else has dyno'ed for the same setup it will get you into the ballpark. Cams, compression, exhaust and intake. Depending on how your bike likes the new map you may twixt it and maybe not. I downloaded a map that came from a bike with my set up and then just moved a few things to suit me.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 PM
lunatikfringe
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Canned maps?

Thanks for the replies. The main reason for the question was If my dealer can't dyno tune my bike then I should buy it online from Chicago HD and save some money. I would not buy it online and take it to my HD dealer and expect them to do the install. But if they have the same access to canned maps as I do, then I could do the install. Then find a local independent shop to tune it at a later date. Has anyone installed their own SERT that was not a professional tuner? I want the pinging to stop for now and I'll find a pro dyno tuner later. Are Canned maps part of the installation software?

Old 01-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, I never feel confident enough 'round that chit, to give advice.

I LOVE my carbs.
BUT then, that's all I've known for 40+ yrs of wrenching. NOT that I don't want to 'grasp' the new stuff, but it costs a few bucks, to jus' get started in it. IF one of my kids was a 'wrench', I'd feel more inclined to spend some coin.
Right now, I figure my carbed scoots, will out live me.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are Canned maps part of the installation software?
Yes, and some of them are pretty close, but not always the case.
You can install a map yourself, and look for a tuner later.

A good custom tune will make you happier than a canned map.

Also, try some quality fuel Shell or BP 93 if you can find it, for that ping.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 AM
Hooker 6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lunatikfringe
Greetings to All! I have a question for DIY'ers about the SE SERT. My dealer does not have a dyno. Did any of you DIY'ers install the SERT youself. I have a 2009 SG with the 103" stage 2 kit with SE slip on mufflers. I had the install done when I bought the bike. Does the SERT come with canned programs to download or does it have to be custom tuned? My dealer did the download and the bike has a ping when hot. I was wonder if I could do a canned download until I can find someone to do a custom Dyno tune. Thanks in advance for any help!!!
I got a PCV from Jamie at Fuel Moto and installed it myself on my Heritage. He preset it, just as the dealer did your SERT. Ran good! The I dyno'd it and got 5+ HP, 5+ torque ane 3-7 MPG immprovement. I bet you find the same when you dyno. You're not realizing the full capability with out the dyno.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 AM
bueller
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hooker 6
I got a PCV from Jamie at Fuel Moto and installed it myself on my Heritage. He preset it, just as the dealer did your SERT. Ran good! The I dyno'd it and got 5+ HP, 5+ torque ane 3-7 MPG immprovement. I bet you find the same when you dyno. You're not realizing the full capability with out the dyno.
If you start with the pre-made map and then later dyno the bike, sometimes you'll get results like these and sometimes you'll find out the dyno was a waste of money. Every engine is a little different, and you'll never know for sure until you've spent the money.