General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt under the sporty what would you have done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:44 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bolt under the sporty what would you have done?

So I finally get an ok day to ride. Back my bike out my driveway start warming it up and go back in my garage to get my helmet, gloves and what not. Look down where my bike used to be parked and notice a single grease covered nut. And I think to myself "Where the F*ck did that come from?" So I park the bike back in the garage and called my local dealer to check it out. I am pretty sure that this is off my bike but hell if I know where.

Did I over react? I am so far from mechanical its embarrassing. Luckily have other chit want checked out.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:14 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are you taking the ****?

dude...I'm almost retarded when it comes to wrenching and what would I have done? NOT called the dealer right away!

Funny tho...I tore down and reassembled my front end due to a galled lower tree, and when I wheeled it out CLUNK I see two unfamiliar allen bolts on the ground. WTF?

searched high and low...went inside and ate lunch and as I was walking out I saw the little chrome plate that goes on the end of my forks and immediately knew the two bolts were axle pinch bolts!

sheesh.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:25 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pic of the bolt, grease and all, would help...
But yeh, you over reacted!

Only two places I know of that has grease, wheel bearings and steering head. Can't say that the nuts off the wheel axles, or the steering head nut should have grease on them tho. Both are outside of the greased area.

Last edited by CroK; 01-27-2010 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:31 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm thinkin that by grease he means road grime crok

Old 01-27-2010, 02:48 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

That nut could have come from anywhere. Someone may have placed it there to flip you out. How protective are you towards your scoot? I don't know. Ya got friends or an OL that might like to Jack with ya a little? Do as much detective work as you can, get a little dirty. Get to know your Scoot a little better. Ya own a flashlight? If you just take a nut to a mechanic he's gonna say "Yup, that's a nut allright."

Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
That nut could have come from anywhere. Someone may have placed it there to flip you out. How protective are you towards your scoot? I don't know. Ya got friends or an OL that might like to Jack with ya a little? Do as much detective work as you can, get a little dirty. Get to know your Scoot a little better. Ya own a flashlight? If you just take a nut to a mechanic he's gonna say "Yup, that's a nut allright."
LOL! This funny to me because when I was wrenchin on cars for a living, my boss would brag about the way I could identify any bolt from any job I had done. Dunno how I did this, just seemed natural, although it amazed me also.

I kept bolts from jobs in a coffee can, usually under one of the wheels of the vehicle I was workin on at the time. When I picked a bolt out of the coffee can, I could indeed identify exactly which hole it came from.

This trait never seemed to carry over to anything else I did, so I couldn't really say I had a photographic memory, just with things I worked on.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please see "you should not ride a motorcycle if ........." thread.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
karlmdog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's being mechanical and there's being practicle. It's OK if you're not mechanical, let the practicle part kick in. Before calling the dealer, give the bike a good look over. Lay down under there and look up with a flashlight. Check everywhere. Is the bolt painted, stainless or chrome? If painted (black lets say) could have come from the frame or something else painted that color. Chrome- look over all your chrome components. Work like a detective trying to solve a case, the bolt is your clue. Be thorough. I'd have gone over that bike like a 16 year old girl on a prom date before I called the dealer.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:57 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I would have left the bolt on the floor, parked the scoot as close to where it was as I could, then got on the floor with a light and started looking at anything and everything. Whilst doing the looking, I would touch, grab, shake, or twist everything I could. But, I like laying on the floor touching, grabbing, shaking, and twisting things. It's how I learn about mechanical stuff.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:59 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Calwoodbutcher
Please see "you should not ride a motorcycle if ........." thread.
Are you trying to say since I cannot build a bike or I am not mechanical I should not be allowed to ride a motorcycle. Well I agree that I need to learn to wrench on my bike, However you can FO if you are telling my to park the bike because I am not a mechanic!

Quick Reply: Bolt under the sporty what would you have done?