General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Controversial Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Well with my credit, Harley isn't gonna finance me a new scoot anyway. But, just to answer the question. It would depend on the prices. If they still wanted to charge a premium price for a bike that's assembled in China, Mexico, etc. with Chinese made parts, no thanks. I would keep the bike I have now, and if I just had to have a new one, I would look at the competition.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=coupe55;6197594]Harley is going to have to do something to either cut costs or increase revenue! The common fix for most corporations is to outsource!/QUOTE]

Very few US companies look at outsourcing as a common solution.

Would I buy a Harley made in another country? Yes.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:54 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The loss was the result of closing down Buell and selling off MV Agusta. The MoCo will be profitable again in 2010 - they control costs by cutting production.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:58 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This poll instantly made my blood boil, because the answer lies in a much greater concern... our country and it's ongoing loss of patriotism. So with that I will simply save my breath and say NO, I would not.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:58 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by HighriderUSA
Hell there isn't any music anymore, just noise.
Someone's grandfather first said that a thousand years ago or so. Music today is as good as it has ever been. You're just getting old.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Someone's grandfather first said that a thousand years ago or so. Music today is as good as it has ever been. You're just getting old.

How true

Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
the

Perfect! If Harley moved offshore they'd be bashed from so many directions they would collapse like a house of cards. We do have some of the highest corporate tax rates in the world..............even the bean counters running Harley aren't that clueless. I hope.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 PM
House
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that came to fruition, and if I had to buy a new bike, I'd likely purchase a Victory. That is under my control...and how I can contribute at a personal level.

But

I work in an industry, and a studio, that would not have survived the last two years without outsourcing (about 25% of project budgets.) Crafting everything here would have cost more than our fading budgets if we wanted to make anything of quality. The other option was to make a crappy product and keep the work here. Heck, even WITH outsourcing, we still lose money on about a quarter of our projects.

It's sad, and i'm not fully comfortable with the philosophy, but the 250 hard working USA employees still collect a paycheck and have job security because of that cheap (about 1/3rd the cost), controlled dose of India/Chineese labor. I can't control the global economy, and It's just gotten to the point where it's the only way certain industries can compete.

So, i'd prefer they outsource more as opposed to going out of business. But only if they need to, and I hope we are not to that point yet.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=MidnitEvil;6198273]
Originally Posted by coupe55
Harley is going to have to do something to either cut costs or increase revenue! The common fix for most corporations is to outsource!/QUOTE]

Very few US companies look at outsourcing as a common solution.
WTF? How can you say that?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:27 PM
nooster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I would not buy a Harley assembled outside of the U.S. Call me crazy but that's just how I am. Nothin against other countries but I would not be interested.

Quick Reply: Controversial Poll