General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about rigid frames

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 03:00 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,809 Likes on 2,070 Posts
Default RE: Question about rigid frames

Well put screamer.

mud
ORIGINAL: Screamer

I had one, it was a head-turning, dude-envying, chick-capturing, tree-climbing, get-the-hell-out-of-my-way, wicked monster deprived of common moral values. Yes it is a rigid. Not to be rated for comfort or dependability.
They are generally rated for power and looks; from the minute mine started to the minute its shut down, it is pure aggression. You better get a good grip or you're going to get thrown off this beast. High horsepower. High performance. It was low, fat, loud and vicious. It was pure violence.
If you get one, be prepared for a serious love / hate relationship. They are recommend for the type who likes working on bikes, as they will require your attention. Most are great looking, great riding bikes that are ideal for riding around town, bar hopping or short rides. If the rigid chassis is long enough and flexible enough, then it will absorb much of the imperfections found in roads, but a good chuckhole will still slam your teeth together in a pretty sound fashion. These bikes are all about power. The power produced by my 113 cubic inch S&S is unbelievable. The phrase "Sit down, shut up and hold on" really applies here. With the twist of the throttle, regardless if it was from a stoplight or at 80 mph on the freeway, this bike would rocket down the road. It just hauls *** and then looks great when it's parked at one of the local bars or restaurants.
Why did I sell it? In one word… dependability, one too may time were my friends are ready to ride and I would have some issue with the bike. Even though I sold it, I had some on my finest moments riding it. Now I have the Fat Boy. Customized of course.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:49 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about rigid frames

rode hardtail choppers back in the day
when we were looking at getting a new bike my wife ask
at a big dog dealership how hard a hard tail really was
the best thing I could think of was put your purse on the ground sit on it
and bounce up and down for an hour -- we now have a softtail
would live a rigid but been there done that and don't really do that much bar hopping anymore

Old 05-21-2010, 12:46 PM
grumpy old biker
Cruiser

Rode a rigid off a 5-6" drop from new pavement to old. I'm 2" shorter and tears still come to my eyes when I think of it.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,865 Likes on 6,239 Posts

A little more length in the section between seat and back axle puts your butt more in front of the back wheel instead of on top of it. Then, bumps don't kick straight up through your spine, but still not great on a long rides. Real easy to unintentionally spin the tire in grass too.

On a nice piece of road, mine felt like it was on a rail.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Snap96
Advanced

I ride a rigid now and have no complaints. It's actually my second rigid. I have 2 young ones at home and don't have the time to do 300-400+ mile rides so my scoot suits exactly what I want to do which is just cruise around on short rides (100 miles) and dod some bar hopping. The springs under my seat provide some comfort but you really need to keep a closer eye on the road and get your *** out of the seat if you can't avoid something.

The one thing I do before I sit down is to adjust my beans.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:21 PM
stevent
Road Master

I built a Shovelhead chopper when I got out of the Navy, '57 straightbar frame with an 8 over Superglide front end and 2 inches of stretch in the down tubes. Funnest bike I ever owned, hand banger and all, you just have to develop an eye for finding smooth sections of whatever road your on.

Of course I was a skinny 20 something back then instead of a chubby 52 year old now, bumps that I used to think of as frame-breakers back then are just a little work out for my baggers air suspension and Hammock seat now.....I'd still like to build another one though, it was a fun bike.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:22 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man O Man if you are young enough and can take the pounding they are a faster build and cheaper too as there is no suspension to deal with but years ago up until 1958 thats all Harley made were hardtails and they had the seat mounted on a pogo stick to help with the bumps.When you had a custom seat I would lower the rear tire presure and try to pick up a girl that had some extra cushion on her chest to help me
going over the real big bumps!