General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 PM
highpinehunter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on first Harley

Looking at getting a new wideglide or streetbob,I really like the way they look and feel,also looking at a 05 deuce with 3600 miles and 08 streetbob with 12,000 miles, Is there anything I should be wary about on the used ones,the duece is nice but it is only a 5 speed with carb.I currently ride a Kawasaki meanstreak, I mainly commute to work and sometimes a weekend ride.Any pros and cons on each would be appreciated.My wife would perfer me to by one of the used ones,plus they will allow a good trade value on mine.The Harley dealer is not allowing me as much on trade. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.I will have this bike for a long time,so I have to get this right.

Thanks,
HPH

Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya gotta go with what your gut tells you. Any of those bikes are a good choice.I looked at the new Harleys for a long time before I saw the one that I knew was the one for me.You will know it when you see it.I went with the new Wide Glide, I think it is one of the coolest factory bikes ever.The street bob is also very cool (needs forward controls IMO). Some would say the carb is a better option, others would say the EFI is the way to go.I'm sure you will get good advice from the members on this forum as they are quite knowledgeable. You can't go too wrong-they are all Harleys. Good luck with your decision.Welcome aboard.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

How long have you been looking? I know that when I started looking at H-D's I went from considering a Nightster to Street Bob to a Fat Bob to a Night Train and finally arrived at a brand new 2008 Crossbones. Of course, I had never owned a motorcycle before that and in fact, I had only recently learned to ride so I don't know how much advice I can give. I know that I really enjoy my bike and how reliable it has been. I also use it to commute a lot and do some weekend riding. I have put what I consider a lot of miles on it, over 16k or just under 1k per month. So far, no engine or tranny problems at all.

I have heard people say that they prefer the older five speeds because with a six they have to do more shifting down when riding through slower parts of town. Honestly I wouldn't know the difference but I really don't see what the big deal is with having to down shift. It's not like it's hard to do. And if I am in town I usually never have to shift over 4 or 5. And when I get out on the open road that sixth gear really lets the engine settle into a nice smooth RPM even at 75-80 mph.

Hope that helps some.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 AM
65Bowtie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with skeez, you never know what you will end up with. I went from duce (like the streached tank) to wide glide (but leaned against the skinny front tire) to fat bob (didnt like thw shocks in the back or batt box) to road king. I went in to see what new road kings they had and to talk about ordering one and saw my Street Glide. Someone else was sitting on t and I told my salesman to get them off my bike (he had showed me a SG months earlier that had been sold but wouldnt let me sit on it).

A week later my bike was delivered. I have absolutely NO regrets.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:02 AM
65Bowtie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell I had also liked the night train too. Its a tough choice, but just like the movie christine, your bike will find you.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There could be several factors involved with making the right choice for a Harley model. Does the wife ride, do you plan on any long distance trips, storage capacity and a few I haven't thought of. Oh yea, how old you are. How important is the looking cool factor and how comfortable do you want to be.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:08 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I personally prefer the EFI, but I know alot of people that prefer carb and you'll get a mixed bag of responses. If your going to do alot of Highway riding the 6-speed might be nice otherwise there is really no need. I love the look of the Duece and it has low miles. Even though it's older I would seriously consider it.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 AM
highpinehunter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never knew how hard this would be.I ve been looking at Harleys since I bought the Meanstreak 2.5 yrs ago. I thought the streetglide was the one untill I rode one,I dont like the fairing for some reason. I rode a fatboy lo and a roadking,but I really dont like the floorboards and heel toe shifter.The wideglide just feels right,I guess that should be my choice.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go try some Demo rides Harley with have them as the weather gets better. Or ask your dealership to try a couple different bikes before find the one that may fit.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,105 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by highpinehunter
I never knew how hard this would be.I ve been looking at Harleys since I bought the Meanstreak 2.5 yrs ago. I thought the streetglide was the one untill I rode one,I dont like the fairing for some reason. I rode a fatboy lo and a roadking,but I really dont like the floorboards and heel toe shifter.The wideglide just feels right,I guess that should be my choice.

Thanks
From what I read here, YOU allready know the answer.

Quick Reply: Advice on first Harley