General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy Hauler Travel Trailers

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Don
Hotels and my bike trailer are looking better all the time. If I could convince my wife I wouldn't become road kill crossing the country I'd just buy her a plane ticket and meet her wherever we were going. I don't see that happening though. She had a near death experience and it has changed her outlook on what she considers unnecessary risk taking.

Do you have a link on that enclosed trailer?
check out: http://www.livinlite.com/VRV-overview.php

Old 02-21-2010, 11:04 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I get into this arguement every time I see my father-in-law. For what he spent on the motorhome/toyhauler he has, along with the extra gas he burn's and the cost to hook-up at most rallys I can stay in the nicest hotels for less.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:18 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by flhxkiller
I get into this arguement every time I see my father-in-law. For what he spent on the motorhome/toyhauler he has, along with the extra gas he burn's and the cost to hook-up at most rallys I can stay in the nicest hotels for less.
Yup/ But with a motorhome, you don't have to unpack. Your "house" & stuff are all right there. Park. Hook up. You're home.

My wife doesn't dig travelling for anything other than short periods. If I am going to get her to stay out for more than a few days at a time, it would be more likely if I bought a motorhome.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Vatorman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm selling my travel trailer right now. The wife has started to ride and still will not travel on the highway. SO we are selling the RV and buying a MC trailer. We can stay at a cabin at any RV park we would have taken the RV.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..I could be your father-in-law. Now, you can't see this while eating breakfast out of your hotel room.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Detachment2
Advanced

Detachment2 - That is a fine looking rig. Excellent choice in your ride as well. If you aren't already aware there is an awesome cruise control available for the softails with Harley components. Wont work on California models though. I love it even on my 44 mile commute it comes in handy.
Thanks for the compliment and info on the cruise control.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by wkdayridr
What's a trailer????
...............................ShudDUP.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:04 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Snarly
..I could be your father-in-law. Now, you can't see this while eating breakfast out of your hotel room.

actually the view of Sylvan Lake from the lodge where I usually have breakfast during sturgis is similar to your pic. The only difference is someone else has to do the dishes.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

actually the view of Sylvan Lake from the lodge where I usually have breakfast during sturgis is similar to your pic. The only difference is someone else has to do the dishes.
Mine is a pic of Navajo lake in Utah. I just find most hotels don't offer the same experience as a motor-home&trailer. jmo..

Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Retrax
Tourer

Hotels and my bike trailer are looking better all the time. If I could convince my wife I wouldn't become road kill crossing the country I'd just buy her a plane ticket and meet her wherever we were going. I don't see that happening though. She had a near death experience and it has changed her outlook on what she considers unnecessary risk taking.

Do you have a link on that enclosed trailer?
I don't have a link to my particular one. I bought it one year old from the original purchaser. It is a 15'X8.5 with an additional two and a half feet or so in the V-Nose. When I bought it, it already had been insulated, has the two small slider/screen RV type windows, side door, roof mounted AC, four 110 volt interior outlets, and a deep cycle 12 volt battery with 12 volt interior lighting. I bought it for $4500.00, bought four new tires for it and it's ready to go.

I primed and painted the interior, white on walls and roof, gray epoxy deck paint on floor. I installed E-track on the floor and bought two Condor wheel chocks. Once the weather gets nice I think I am going to paint another coat on the floor and ramp door with paint mixed with sand to make it more slip resistant. They also make screens for the ramp door and side door openings I might buy.

When I had my toy hauler it was nice to have a fridge and a bathroom but I mainly stayed at places which had shower and toilet facilities. I preferred to use theirs when possible and not have to deal with emptying shower tanks and sewage tanks on the toy hauler. I can be plenty comfortable in my cargo trailer in a nice air bed. I bring a cooler, but if I really needed a fridge,I could buy a portable one I guess. For me anyway, it is just easier to use a cargo trailer with a few amenities. The toy hauler had the fridge, shower, toilet, and kitchen. I now make due with a cooler, campground bathroom, and a portable grill. Works for me.

I had been keeping my eyes open for an 8.5'X14' Haulmark low hauler on craigs list, but I found this one instead and could not pass it up for the price. I can stand straight up in it (I think the interior is about 6'6"). It is a little longer than what I was planning at about 17.5 to 18 feet long, but I am really happy with it. Fuel for me got to be costing a fortune with the toy hauler. When the weather permits, I prefer to travel strictly by bike when possible. I was actually adding up the price of a new diesel truck with the toy hauler but it just wasn't in my price range. 35 to 55 grand for a truck, plus 25 to 55 grand or more for a toy hauler, plus the fuel and maintainence costs for the truck put it out of the affordability level for me especially since I am still working full time and have a mortgage.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler Travel Trailers