General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:56 AM
PoleCat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What to do, what to do?

Hutch,

First let me say that I like the way you think. You obviously really respect the work your father and grandfather have put into the family business.

One of the most important things for my father was to leave something for us kids to carry forward . . . he was somewhat shocked when he learned that none of the three of us wanted anything to do with the family business. We all thought he'd have a fit . . . instead he sold the business and took mom on a beautiful vacation.

Since then, he's started another business that he really enjoys, and he's a much happier guy.

I say let your dad know your plans and go for it. I have to say I envy your new opportunity.

Good luck partner!

Old 07-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ok D...i havent read anyone elses post...here's my take and i own a biz...once you enjoy the freedom and responsiblity of "makin it happen", i'd find it very hard to work for anyone else....a few years back our biz was at a stagnant place, we had plateaued...i know how your dad & grandfather felt as they built it, had ideas, nutured them and watched them grow or go...raised their families and made it on their own...cream rises to the top bro...the best and most successful entrepreneurs are CREATIVE...follow in the footsteps of your father and figure something out to revolutionize your biz...if you continue to just go thru the motions you will never be satisfied...at 27 i am quite sure you have a restless bone or so...dont throw away a shoe in bc its hard....true, good help is hard to find...if they suck and you do it anyway, fire em...instant raise in your profit margin...YOU are youre best and cheapest labor...time changes lots...IMO, you should stick it out...get busy with a new idea...but dont give up for money and seeming security...remember, the grass aint greener on the other side and all that glitters aint gold

Old 07-29-2006, 01:26 AM
notorious
Road Captain

If you keep the dealership you will go broke. If you work for someone else only they will go broke.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:38 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck in whatever direction you go. Listen to your heart. But as Bryan indicated, one thing you will have to determine for yourself is whether it's more important to call the shots or have them called for you. And the only person who calls the shots is the one who's signing the checks. You have to decide whether you can give up the autonomy or not. The other situations may work themselves out. Good luck, bud.

Old 07-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Bluerose

Hmmm.... Did your dad retire or is he still working with you?

The job at the HD Dealership job shoulds like a good opportunity if for nothing else to learn from others and losing the worries you sound like you are facing right now....just because you have done something all your life does not mean you know everything you'd be suprised what you can learn in the right position (btw no offense intended). Would it be possible to have your dad run the business for say 2 years -- with your help if needed in the background it's family and does not have to be on the books -- and you go to work for HD then re-evaluate the direction you want to go? Maybe at that point you might be ready to sell the current business and open an HD dealership if that's what you want.

Just a thought...

Remember life is a compromise...rarely is anything ever just cut and dry.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:08 AM
msheldon
Cruiser

As a small business owner myself, I hate to say it, but my advice is get out while the gettin is good. I was working entirely for myself a few years ago, but just couldn't compete with the larger companies. Now I keep a side business, but it's purely a hobby, making just enough money to break even.

There's no question that the economic climate today favors larger businesses. And it's not just a government thing (though they certainly play a part in it), it's dealing with other businesses. The bigger you are, the better the prices you get, which allows you to easily undercut the little guys without even trying.

It's no coincidence that every major player out there keeps merging until there's only a couple left. Remeber the AT&T split? For all practical purposes, it's all one phone company again.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:19 AM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you said it yourself...it's a killer opportunity. It's rare that you can make a good living doing what you love to do.
Sure HD may have it's critics (me being one) but it's still the best option out there imho. Go with your gut and at 27 you still have a lot of time to do something else if it doesn't work out.

Just don't forget us little guys when you own your own dealership...should I send in my application now?

Old 07-29-2006, 09:44 AM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work in a new car dealership in a small town. I can feel your pain as many have in recent years. In our little corner of the world, it seems that the only people that are really wealthy are those that own their own business. Car dealers use to be especially so. Not so much any more. The car business has always been extremely competitive and nerve racking. I never dreamed it would be what it is today. My wife has always wondered why I never opened my own business. I am ( not to pat myself on the back ) a GM, and ASE master tech, specializing in driveability and electrical diagnosis and repair. My answer to her was that I was content with my salary as an employee, and the increase in wages I would get as a business owner, would not justify the headaches of running the business. The "Wal-mart" scenario of the big man gobbling up the little guys is easily as widespread as the automotive industry. If you have a great opportunity to get out, and it sounds like you do, I would give it serious consideration. It would be better to do this on your terms, than to wait until it becomes a crisis, and your opportunity is long gone....

nogood o~`o

Old 07-29-2006, 09:56 AM
nightrider54
Tourer

Will throw my $.02 in here. I have owned my own business for over 30 years. It is can be difficult and the hours sometimes are really nasty, but I sure do enjoy what I do. I guess you have to ask yourself if that is your case. I told both my kids that they did not have to come into the "family" business. My daughter opted too, and my son did not. I am not sure I could ever work for anyone else. True the idea of vacations anytime are a myth, but all in all the reward of seeing something you create live and survive is not to be found anywhere else. I pass along the advice to you that I give all our young employees as well as my kids. Do something you like that you can make a living doing. It's not about the money, it is about the quality of life. As was said earlier, the grass is not greener on the other side all the time. Good luck and don't let anyone rush you into a decision.

Don

Old 07-29-2006, 10:53 AM
GeezerGlider
Cruiser

Lots of good advice given, and I can't really add anything to what's been said. I am curious however - is selling the business going to help you financially? Can you sell it even if you wanted to? I agree with the thought that opportunities like this GM offer don't come around very often - you've obviously impressed the right person/people, and they trust you to help safeguard their investments and livelihood. Sounds too good to pass up, even though there will be a certain "grief" at losing the family business that you've known your whole life. But given the new economic realities of 2006 (much different than 1960, 70, etc.,) this sure sounds like the right way to go.

As far as H-D remaining an industry powerhouse and providing you with job security - IMHO you have nothing to worry about there for awhile. The background noise (Victory, Indian, Big Dog etc.) will always be around to serve those who are so completely disillusioned with H-D that they'll never buy another one, but I can't see them rising to the level necessary to dethrone the king. It's almost like thinking Rolling Rock or Sam Adams could topple Budweiser as the #1 selling American beer. It may not be the best beer, but so many people are "programmed" to just ask for a Bud, that Anhieser Bush need never worry. Similarly, so many Americans and people around the world are spring-loaded to consider Harley as the only American motorcycle worth being mass-produced, that something radically drastic would have to happen to change that. You'll be safe!!

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: What to do, what to do?