General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What to do, what to do?

Hutch,
You know already whaat you are going to do. If you let this opportunity pass you by, you'll always wonder what could have been. It will be a real dream jpb, but, lots of work to go along with the excitment. And maybe someday....
Good Luck

Old 07-29-2006, 01:52 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a tough call. I would say: if you don't know what to do, don't do anything. Only make the change if you know that's what you want. Otherwise, you could spend the rest of your life second-guessing your decision.

In 1964 I left a 7 year job as a LEO to "rejoin the human race" and become an insurance claims rep for an insurance company. I retired from that job as soon as I could in 1990 at age 55 because I hated it. To this very day I will occasionally have dreams about being re-hired by the Police Department. I regret waking up. With hindsight, my decision was the wrong one.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:00 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You father has lived the best part of his life and would want you to do the same.Sure money every week plus perks is hard to pass up nowadays.And youre right,running a small business isnt as easy as many believe.Enjoy your life while you can.All can change at a moments notice.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Grumpy Ed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hutch,

In reading your post, and not knowing the whole story, I'm taking a wild guess in this next sentence. It strikes me that your dad may be trying to help you out. You stated that you let your feelings be known to your father, then out of the blue you get a job offer. What I'm wondering is how did this person know you were looking, did some one tell him? Maybe your father is staying with the buisness for you, once you leave he'll be free to sell the business and semi-retire or go to work for someone as an employee. I don't know either of you, just thinking as an outside observer tossing in my 2 cents. Like someone said, you know what you want to do, making the decision to do it is the hard part.

Best of luck in which ever direction you choose.

[sm=imsmilin.gif]

Old 07-30-2006, 03:37 AM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the odd part. My Dad doesn't even know this dealer, and no one else knows I'm looking. I've met him several times, though we never talked about jobs. I've been told by other employees there, quite a few of my customers have mentioned how much they were impressed with my knowledge and customer service concerns. Maybe he just liked what he's heard. I almost wonder if it's not one of those "meant to be" kinda things.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:43 PM
Grumpy Ed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In that case, you got this offer on your own based on your customers opinions. I'd say go for it, your dad may miss working with you for a while but at the same time he'll be happy and proud. (I'm basing this on what I think my feelings would be if I were in his shoes.)

"Maybe he just liked what he's heard." I'm sure he did, since he'd talked to you in the past I'd say you left a good impression on him along with the good words from your customers
"I almost wonder if it's not one of those "meant to be" kinda things." I myself, am a ferm believer in this.

Back in the 40's, 50's and 60's my grandfather owned one of the largest construction companies in new jersey, he had 3 sons, 2 worked for him and one, my father, struck out on his own with his own construction company. He loved all 3 equelly but he had more respect for my father because he wasn't "tied to the old mans apron strings." When things went south for my father, 3 bankrupcies, he'd go back to work for the old man until he got the funds to go back in business for himself. I tried working for him, my grandfather, but it didn't work out, tried it with several different family members with family run business. To much like watching Orange County Choppers if you know what I mean.

Good luck, based on what you've told us I think you'll do fine.

GE

[sm=imsmilin.gif]