General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Tension Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Belt Tension Adjustment Question

I'm new to belt drives, so I haven't really developed a feel for these new-fangled things. It's a new FXD with about 700 miles on it, and I intend to do the 1000 mile service myself. Got the shop manual. When I measure my belt deflection with the HD deflection tool I'm getting about twice the recommended deflection for the 10 lbs of sideload....I know how to move the rear axle back to increase the tension, but can anybody give me an idea of how sensitive that adjustment is? In other words, will I probably end up turning each of the adjustment bolts (equally, of course) a fraction of a turn, or quite a bit more?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The adjuster is a fine thread pattern, you will likely end up with a couple of full turns. When I adjust mine I usually do one full turn and measure, repeat if needed.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
The adjuster is a fine thread pattern, you will likely end up with a couple of full turns. When I adjust mine I usually do one full turn and measure, repeat if needed.
Thanks!
Is belt wear and stretch pretty much a continual process....or is the initial adjustment the largest?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually end up adjusting mine some every 5000 miles, I didn't do the first couple due to the terms of my purchase where the dealer did the service

Old 03-03-2010, 05:49 AM
cheaponecoat
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I have to adjust the back wheel I use two wrenches one on each side. Put them at the same angle and adjust each the same amount of turns. I do half turns until adjust is right just be sure to count and keep the wrenches the same. The easy way to get close adjustment on the belt is to twist it right behind the primeary. If it goes half way around or close to it then you are close. Hope this helps. Oh do not over think this it really is not very hard.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Your manuel will give you pretty good instructions.The belts don't require adjustment very often under normal conditions.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't use the 'special tool' Harley recommends. 10lbs. aint that much. Push on a bathroom scale if you wanna verify that. The manual also gives instructions on how to create a measuring tool for the length out from the swing arm pivot bolt, that was easy to make. The first time I adjusted mine I simply counted the threads and moved each one an equal amount. THEN I made the measuring tool and it was dead on.

As stated previously, over thinking this process will make it more dificult. Once you have done the adjustment, watch the wear on the belt and sprockets and listen for any odd sounds, this will 'tell' you if you mucked it up.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

This was my answer to the belt issue on my 05.

Attached Thumbnails Belt Tension Adjustment Question-thunder-s-bags-chain-004.jpg   Belt Tension Adjustment Question-thunder-s-bags-chain-005.jpg  
Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about a FXD, but the RK manual says to measure the belt deflection with the rear wheel off the ground and no pressure on the shocks (on a lift). I know the RK and FXD frames are different, but I'd make sure just in case. You definitely don't want to overtighten the belt.

Quick Reply: Belt Tension Adjustment Question