General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rising Motorcycle Fatalities, who is to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by midnight2005
Taken from an article in Easyrider Magazine Jan 09'. Citing federal goc. data that indicates the number of fatal motorcycle accidents rose in 2007 by 7% from the previous year Jacob Sullum writes "the chief culprit recently seems to be higher gas prices, which have encouraged people to take advantage of motorcycle"
Holy weak correlation, Batman!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesJ
Our local paper had an article like this last year talking about injuries/accidents/fatalities. I wrote into the letters section telling them that unless we know the percentage increase of bikes on the road, telling us there was x amount increase in accident/injuries/fatalities was useless and sensationalistic information. If the injury percentage went up 10% but the number of bikes on the road went up 15%, the injury rate actually went down.

I know here in Edmonton, it sure seemed there has been a big increase of bikes on the road.
That's a big problem I have with the media throwing out numbers...they never give you the whole equation, just the part that makes the point that "they" want you to believe. Statistics can be made to read any way you want, just depends on what data to leave out

Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Blargh
Road Captain

frustrating watching what the distracted drivers

Last edited by Blargh; 10-13-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:01 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be safer than snowmobiling. 17 people have died so far this season in Michigan over what a 4 month period?

Old 03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Been mentioned already ... more bikes on the road = more inexperienced riders on the road.

Similar to teens driving and in-climate weather. Coming home in a snow storm last week one night. Roads were not BAD but the snow was coming down hard and the roads were a little slick. What do I pass? A string of flashing lights. 3 cops, 1 ambalamps [sic] and a trailblazer that had slid off the road into a side ditch, 5 teenage girls on the phone calling their parents. What is more likely the cause, the snow and conditions or the inexperienced teenage driver (not one girl was 18 if I had to guess)...................

Old 03-05-2010, 03:47 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

In this area, it seems to be distracted drivers. Not a day goes by I don't see someone go off the side of the road while texting, reading, eating, puting on makeup or fiddling with their radio or gps while driving. Not to mention the guy that has a newspaper draped across the wheel with a coffee in one hand and a dangling cigarette.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

NOT ME! I was in the garage. I swear.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:26 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 184 Posts

So far I've been successful in not being one of the fatalities.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:44 PM
rallen
Cruiser

I was in Memphis Saturday and looked over at a driver next to me and he's looking at a catalog while driving down the street at 45 in heavy traffic. I was in my truck, so I was the heavier vehicle. He started drifting over into my lane about the time my front bumper was next to his window. I laid on the horn and brought him back to earth. I just hope he had to go home and clean out his pants.

They are crazy here in Mississippi, too. They think the center stripe is a guide to line up the center of their car on, not to stay outside of, and everyone thinks they are in NASCAR and come down on the inside of every corner. Kind of scary when you meet them, on the phone and putting on make up while driving. Even the guys!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Mayor Quimby
Intermediate

I would think the sudden stop would be a good reason for all the fatalities.

Quick Reply: Rising Motorcycle Fatalities, who is to blame?