General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bodyworking a gas tank .... what block to use

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM
lakeman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bodyworking a gas tank .... what block to use

Hats off to guys that are good at this .....I've done some easier projects before but this tank that rolls both ways is giving me grief. On the 3rd body fill and feel I may need the right sanding block to shape the double roll on the top front of a tank. Any ideas?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM
CB5150
Road Master

Received 134 Likes on 64 Posts

Welcome!

Old 03-07-2010, 09:08 PM
streetglidin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on trying the project on ur own ,but really if u have to ask.....well u need a flexable block that contours the tank or any panel ur tring to block......after 3 filler coats though? just how much body filler do u want on ur bike? maybe needs more metal work?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I use a Motor Guard SB-1 sanding block (or something similar) on tanks. You can get soft or foam blocks in a variety of shapes and sizes for dealing with odd shaped areas if needed.

http://www.motorguard.com/sur_1_1.html

Old 03-07-2010, 10:39 PM
shake rattle n roll
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep a soft or flexable block that will take to the shape of the tank is a great idea.
It done even need to be a sanding block as per say..I have been known to use calking tubes rad hose..or whatever fit the shape i was working with best.
Dont worry about how many cotes of filler you put on trying to get what makes you happy as far as straight...you are sanding most of it off anyhow, sometimes too much gets sanded off, then you need to try again

Its not easy, its a handskills trade
But if you are willing to keep trying thumbs up to you
Also try working your filler at a 30 degree or so angle with your block, it will help you follow the curves better

Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM
lakeman
Tourer

Thanks guys,

SG to answer the question ... can't metal work it because it is a double lined tank. And yes, it isn't easy, but isn't that the way it always is the first time you DIY. Next time she dumps her bike it will be much easier with proper tool.

Thanks Midnight ... very specific, good info.

Thanks ShakeR&R ... good tips, I'll get this if it takes another 3 fills, body worked some car dents before but this is tricky. I'll find a proper block at a local bodyshop supplier and try the 30 degree tip.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't feel bad about how many times you're going over this. It's the end result that matters. It is nearly impossible to prep too much for an awesome paint job.

I suck with bondo. I put too much on, then sand almost all of it off, then do the whole thing again a few more times. As I take the bono back off, it reveals high spots which I tap down. On the first coat, I take it pretty much all off because I also identify and tap out the low spots. Not really an option on a double walled tank, I know. Just saying it's better to take as much time and as many coats as you need to do it right. If you don't, once you shoot the paint, you notice anything that isn't perfect and instantly wish you'd worked on it a bit more.

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2010, 07:37 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

I feel your pain. I bought a tour pak for $75 that had a 3" hole on the side. After I got the hole patched, I started to block sand the tub and cover and found how poor the fiberglass was from the factory. I must have put 6 coats on some areas to build up the low spots. Hopefully your tank is better than my tour pak. If your patient and work at it slowly you'll get the result you want. My tour pak came out great.

Attached Thumbnails Bodyworking a gas tank .... what block to use-p1000773.jpg   Bodyworking a gas tank .... what block to use-p1000774.jpg   Bodyworking a gas tank .... what block to use-p1000775.jpg  
Old 03-08-2010, 11:38 PM
lakeman
Tourer

Originally Posted by rizzo
I must have put 6 coats on some areas to build up the low spots.
Yes, but looking good, your at the most exciting moment in the project, the test results ... and if you have more filler .... it doesn't matter. Who's gonna fire us ...

I usually end up going back and touching some thing(s) up. Good luck with the spray.