General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of a 2010 superglide

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 AM
meathead1134
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My review of a 2010 superglide

Well I went down to Daytona and rented 2010 superglide so hear is my review I put 245 miles on it. Bike looked very nice and well taken care of,I was impressed with that. So I hoped on and checked the mirrors and took off. I really liked having the fuel injection no choke like my sportster. I gave it some gas and let the clutch out and the bike bucked but took off. I forgot about the new style of throttle slight half second or second delay. It took me a little while to get use it but I did. So we made it from stop light to stop light and then finally on to the highway. Had to give it about 1/2 throttle to really get it going. Not use to giving it that much throttle to move quickly. Overall the bike handles beautiful I really enjoyed it. It rode very smoothly and I felt very comfortable with it. It flowed smoothly the entire day. The few things that I didn not like about the bike.

1. I was not a fan with the new throttle with the delay.
2. There was no sweet spot with the new throttle while riding in heavy traffic trying to ride between 5 mph and 10mph was a chore either your on the throttle too much or not enough.
3. I felt cramped on it, the bike was completly stock no forward controls or highway pegs. I'm only 5'7 and I actually felt cramped, I actually had to strech my legs out numerous times, maybe I am being to picky but this is how I feel, this would be the first thing I would change.
4. While fueling up I had the bike straight up while putting gas in it. I filled the tank and took off. As I was riding I noticed that it only had 3/4 of a tank when I filled it, that agrivated me because I had a decent ride back to where I was staying.
5. The bike was very quiet, too quiet for my taste. My wife' hyundai was actually louder.

Final thoughts overall all I liked the bike but it will take some getting use too. I will probally rent something else next time for another comparison.
It's a Harley so any person can customize it to their own taste.

Last edited by meathead1134; 03-08-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:32 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Ridding them is the way to check them out. some don't before they buy and later regret it...

Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
Ridding them is the way to check them out. some don't before they buy and later regret it...

That is what I was planning to do

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a FI 07 FXDC, never had the problem with the throttle. Unless something changed in 2010. I did have a VStar 1300 that was either "on" or "off" which made low speeds troublesome, but not impossible.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've demo rode a few 2010's including a Superglide. I didn't experience the throttle delay you speak of. Maybe something was wrong with the one you rode.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:54 PM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better rethink that throttle. The touring bikes have used an electronic throttle ("fly by wire") for a couple of years. The 2010 Dyna's still use a push-pull, two cable throttle system, just like your non EFI Sportster. It's all in your mind, kind of like feeling cramped. I was on my wife's 2010 SG Custom yesterday. I'm 6'3" and felt fine. With only 245 miles, the bike isn't broken in and won't have the kind of response that it will after 1500 miles. Maybe your just too used to your wife's Hyundai.....

Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a new 2010 Dyna Superglide FXD less than a week ago. I have none of the lag you mention in the throttle operation. In fact the engine response, in the sense of perfect reaction to throttle inputs is one of the bike's strengths.

I do have some negatives. My bike vibrates more than I'd like. The only times it's really smooth is accelerating at at least half throttle in the upper part of the power band. Steady state cruising at moderate speeds 40-65 isn't totally smooth. it reminds me of my old Sportster with the solid mount engine. I've had 2 Evo FLT bikes and they were perfectly smooth at all speeds above 30 mph.

The brakes on my Dyna are nothing to write home about.

I'm 6'3" and the seat is a little too low for me but I don't feel cramped for leg or arm room.

The motor is very quiet. I kind of like it that way. It has a good low tone - it's just not very loud.

I like the price, especially with the incentive for trading in a non-Harley. The assembly quality seems very good. Paint & chrome are excellent.

It handles nice at low speeds. At higher speeds it is a little ponderous but it tracks naturally. Mine has Michelin tires, which surprised me.

I'd like a little more suspension travel in the rear and dual front discs. And a lot more smoothness.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I just bought a new 2010 Dyna Superglide FXD less than a week ago. I have none of the lag you mention in the throttle operation. In fact the engine response, in the sense of perfect reaction to throttle inputs is one of the bike's strengths.

I do have some negatives. My bike vibrates more than I'd like. The only times it's really smooth is accelerating at at least half throttle in the upper part of the power band. Steady state cruising at moderate speeds 40-65 isn't totally smooth. it reminds me of my old Sportster with the solid mount engine. I've had 2 Evo FLT bikes and they were perfectly smooth at all speeds above 30 mph.

The brakes on my Dyna are nothing to write home about.

I'm 6'3" and the seat is a little too low for me but I don't feel cramped for leg or arm room.

The motor is very quiet. I kind of like it that way. It has a good low tone - it's just not very loud.

I like the price, especially with the incentive for trading in a non-Harley. The assembly quality seems very good. Paint & chrome are excellent.

It handles nice at low speeds. At higher speeds it is a little ponderous but it tracks naturally. Mine has Michelin tires, which surprised me.

I'd like a little more suspension travel in the rear and dual front discs. And a lot more smoothness.
Sounds like a review by a guy who actually rode one.

(yeah, better suspension and brakes for *all* Harleys would sure be nice)

Old 03-09-2010, 06:32 AM
meathead1134
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
Better rethink that throttle. The touring bikes have used an electronic throttle ("fly by wire") for a couple of years. The 2010 Dyna's still use a push-pull, two cable throttle system, just like your non EFI Sportster. It's all in your mind, kind of like feeling cramped. I was on my wife's 2010 SG Custom yesterday. I'm 6'3" and felt fine. With only 245 miles, the bike isn't broken in and won't have the kind of response that it will after 1500 miles. Maybe your just too used to your wife's Hyundai.....
Ok my mistake with the electronic throttle, I still didn't like the delay nor no sweet spot between 5 and 10 mph. The bike actually had 5K miles on it and I put 245 miles on it. "It's in my mind about feeling cramped" Sure I'll take your word for that. How should I fell then??

Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

5' 7" and your cramped on a FDX? You must be a tall 5' 7'...

Quick Reply: My review of a 2010 superglide