General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burnouts.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default burnouts.........

yes i know i know the yare bad yada yada blah blah.

but for those of you that take part i nthem how the hell do ya do it ? man i tried and tried and tried to get one going yesterday since i need to replace my tires * upen close inspection i noticed they are starting to show some little cracks and symptoms of dry rot* and i wanted a good reason to pull my rims off and strip them and re-finish them anyhow

i can get the front tire locked up and twist the throttle wide open but the damn thing just pushed the front end around locked tire and all. so i locked my legs on the pavement infront of the pegs to attempt to hold it back and the damn bike pushed me too. i just can not get the damn tire spinning. and there aint no curbs or vehicles to use as a wall so hell man how do you guys do it ?

Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 PM
AB60
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the rear wet next time you try. Like the burnout box in drag racing, H20 creates less friction. And if you're sitting down on the seat then quit doing that (seen several ppl try to burnout while sitting down....).

Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never bothered myself but I asked the same question years ago. Seems that you were on the right track except you stopped. A slow accel will fail you. The trick is to get the tire spinning too fast to gain traction. Just keep the gas on and the brake locked. Eventually the rear will break (when it's so hot is goop) and have fun.

BEWARE!!!!

It may cost you more than a tire. Every year we do a burnout pit. I've seen riders' backs welted with molten rubber, tire cords wound to the point of destroying the hub/axle, rear fenders shredded and tail lights melted.

I've never seen the point but sure as ****, every year there are a half-dozen guys who want to see the smoke. Oh, and it smells friggin horrible.

If you really want a thrill, smoke it 'til it blows. It will blow with a good bang once it hits the point of no return. At least video it!

Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can’t find a wall or tree or other immovable object to brace the front wheel against, you can just use some water and squirt it in a puddle for the back tire to get wet and lose some traction. Some Dragstrips have a waterbox to use to get the back tires wet before the burnout. Some just use water in a bottle and squirt the water on the back tire. Good luck with your burnout.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Locking the front tire to do a burnout is brake torquing. In the world of "Real Burnouts", it's the RUB way. A good burnout is all about *****. The coolest are rolling burnouts where just grabbing a handful of throttle breaks the back tire loose.

Part of doing a burnout, brake torque or not, is having the ***** to get a bunch of throttle going, quickly. If you're pushing the bike around, you're bring on the throttle too slow.

Probably the safest way for you to figure it out with minimal risk of dumping your bike is to get your front tire up against a brick or cement wall, then get your burnout going. Practicing that way, you'll develop the feel for what you need to do.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:02 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AB60
Get the rear wet next time you try. Like the burnout box in drag racing, H20 creates less friction. And if you're sitting down on the seat then quit doing that (seen several ppl try to burnout while sitting down....).
yeah i'll have to try finding a wet spot to try it, and no i aitn sitting o nthe seat LOL 200lbs extra on the *** end sure as hell aint gonna help lose traction lol

Originally Posted by Kagan
Never bothered myself but I asked the same question years ago. Seems that you were on the right track except you stopped. A slow accel will fail you. The trick is to get the tire spinning too fast to gain traction. Just keep the gas on and the brake locked. Eventually the rear will break (when it's so hot is goop) and have fun.

BEWARE!!!!

It may cost you more than a tire. Every year we do a burnout pit. I've seen riders' backs welted with molten rubber, tire cords wound to the point of destroying the hub/axle, rear fenders shredded and tail lights melted.

I've never seen the point but sure as ****, every year there are a half-dozen guys who want to see the smoke. Oh, and it smells friggin horrible.

If you really want a thrill, smoke it 'til it blows. It will blow with a good bang once it hits the point of no return. At least video it!
out i aint after big massive amounts of smoke i jus twanna burn some of the tread off so i can justify to myself its time to replace the tire, and get a nice new set of avons LOL

Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Tom96FLHTC
Advanced

I can do mine with no water and nothing blocking the front tire
and it's an ultra classic!

A
Stand up off the seat
put bike in gear
keep clutch pulled and get those rpms up
grab a whole lotta brake and slowly release clutch
tire should start spinning

if that doesn't work, try this:

B
stand up off seat
put bike in gear
keep clutch pulled and get those rpms up
grab a whole lotta brake and DUMP the clutch
this might make the bike lurch forward enough to get that tire a spinnin'

in either method, if something starts to go wrong, pull that clutch in and let off that throttle, but don't let off the brake.

Hope this works for you, man!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:56 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
yeah i'll have to try finding a wet spot to try it, and no i aitn sitting o nthe seat LOL 200lbs extra on the *** end sure as hell aint gonna help lose traction lol

out i aint after big massive amounts of smoke i jus twanna burn some of the tread off so i can justify to myself its time to replace the tire, and get a nice new set of avons LOL
you should go down the street where that cop just moved in...and re introduce yourself by putting a bleach/water mix on your tire and then light it up

Old 03-12-2010, 03:38 AM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil

Part of doing a burnout, is having the ***** to get a bunch of throttle going, quickly. If you're pushing the bike around, you're bring on the throttle too slow.
what he said......if you baby it and gradually give it gas it grips too well and the bike will walk forward.....get some rpm going and dump the clutch. Its scary at first but honestly whats the worst that can happen, you might pull a small wheelie. Its not like the bike is going to flip on you before you realize the the front tire is coming off the ground and you let off the throttle.....have some faith and go for it

Old 03-12-2010, 03:55 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,814 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I've found that a little bit of Oppossum Fat will get you the desired effect

Quick Reply: burnouts.........