General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texting is now illegal in South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
Even in states with very significant fines it's a meaningless law....it's been shown to not affect texting abuse in vehicles. It's impossible to enforce. There aren't enough cops to pull over everybody fiddling around with something in their lap, stereo, whatever. Cops simply have too much to do to start a serious and sustained anti-texting campaign.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not against hefty fines for texting and cellphone use in a moving vehicle. The fines tend to get imposed after a serious accident when witnesses and cellphone records can corroborate in court. Don't expect a reduction in DWT (Driving While Texting) because of the potential of even large fines.

Bingo, Bingo, and F'n Bingo!!!

Want to stop this madness? Eliminate texting all together!! The fricken cell phone was made to make calls. If you want to text, stay the F**K home and use your computer.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
We are getting that law here too very soon but from what I understand it will be a $280.00 fine and points on you license

$280.00 fine and six months revocation of driving priviledges would be okay with me!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 PM
OceanTwo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, as long as I don't text, the roads are going to be so much safer, right? Because, if I recall, roads were much safer before cell phones and texting...or just perhaps I'm mistaken...

(Up next, mandatory full-face helmet laws...)

Edit to add: people who are likely to follow such a law already use common sense, those without are not likely to stop texting because of some 'stupid law'. Most people don't rob others not because robbery is illegal but it's just plain wrong.

Last edited by OceanTwo; 03-12-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:34 PM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a start...

Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's illegal in MD also, but it's not enforced and people are disregarding the law. Not suprising. I don't know what the penalty is. I used to text and drive sometimes and can attest to the fact that it's not safe. I'm the smartest and most coordinated person I know and it's just too much taking your eyes and concentration off the road. Won't do it anymore. But apparently I'm in the minority.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the LEO should be able to confiscate the phone on the spot. You get it back for paying a $500 fine and 6 points on your license. Texting is equal to DUI in danger to the public.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Soon every state it will be...but I see so many folks still doing it,also you can't talk on the phone,but again I don't get it...HANG UP AND DRIVE

Last edited by AR-15 DEUCE; 03-12-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:42 PM
08Fatty
Tourer

I disagree with the law. It is pointless to have a law against texting but allow someone to read the paper, put on make up, eat cereal, with milk, out of a bowl, read a book. Why discriminate? If you look at it from a constitutional stand point, It is just another way to take away a freedom. Now, if you chose to abuse a freedom, Causing an accident doing ANYTHING that distracts you from driving, then a hefty penalty would be in order. We have too many laws as it is, more laws means less freedom.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 PM
stilyung
Advanced

I drive about 50,000 miles a year in and around Houston and I can almost always pick out the drivers who are on the phone just by the way they are driving. I think that a cell phone should turn off when it's inside a car that is running. It can be done but just think of all the money the the phone companies will loose. Money talks (no pun intended)

Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stilyung
I drive about 50,000 miles a year in and around Houston and I can almost always pick out the drivers who are on the phone just by the way they are driving. I think that a cell phone should turn off when it's inside a car that is running. It can be done but just think of all the money the the phone companies will loose. Money talks (no pun intended)
Look here: www.getizup.com