General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the real deal with the 1000 mile service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Wyndup
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just make sure that you get the computer reset after Maint. A buddy of mine had a prob with his bike. had 5000 miles on it and did not have his maint done. When they check his ECU on the bike it showed that along with Max speed, 142 mph. They did not warranty the fix. They did reset the computer and now his warranty is vcalid again. But had to pay out of pocket for repairs.
Originally Posted by Trek
So, the dealer I bought my new bike from is insisting that warranty will be void if a dealer doesn't do the service work.

I had called to check on the 1000 mile service, but they are book ed out too long, they are 45 minutes away, so dropping it off and then waiting around would be a pain.

I've always done my own service work so this is completely new information to me!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Wyndup
6th Gear

I agree, They only service that should be done by HD should be the 1000 mile. If the shop is good they will go through and check everything including torques on all parts. After that yes do it yourself and safe money. Here in CA Harley techs make about $95 hour
Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
The dealer needs to check all the fluid levels and specs on your bike to make sure that everything is Kosher after 1000. Let them have it for a couple hours and fork out the $200 or so to keep your warranty intact. If something is amiss, it's entirely the MOCO's problem. After that, get a manual and do it yourself.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:38 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyndup
The only service that should be done by HD should be the 1000 mile. If the shop is good.............Harley techs make about $95 hour
You are a trusting individual. Me......not so much......the dealer won't get a dime of my money, let alone $95.00 an hour....

Then again I enjoy doing light wrenching on my bike, enjoy reading the manuals...and learning more about what I own...

Take your time, be methodical & have some fun with it.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BennieSG
The 1k service is the only one in the manual that says take it to Harley. I know you can do it yourself, but I figured $250 was less than trying to fight an issue down the road. The 1k service is the only service I let the dealer do. My experience with the dealer was very good, they were honest, and I was pleased with what they did. It wasn't even the dealer I bought from, but if any warranty issue comes up I will take it there. Just my
I couldn't find that in my manual. Have they changed the wording?

Old 03-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I just got back from the dealer who did the 1000 mile service to my bike, I wanted them to do the first one then i will do them from now on out...man they did an excellent job really, the bike shifts as smooth as butter, everything about it feels better, im happy. it tokk then 3 hours, they did a lot more than just change fluids.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think the new manuals "Recommend" going to the dealer.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:09 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

He lied - lied - lied - Did I say he lied. They tend to do that to younger riders. Us older riders tell them to go pound sand or worse.

Google the Magnuson-Moss act and read it. You will be ready for the next liar.

I do my own and log each item checked according to the service interval in the shop manual. I also take a pic of the oil, filter, manual, torque wrenches etc. I include a copy of the pic with the log of the results of each item checked.

I am supremely confident that a tech can do no more than I do and that 80% do a lot less.

Oh! there is one exception to the dealer must do the service to the bike to keep the warranty - IT MUST BE AT NO CHARGE!

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-20-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:11 PM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

" After a new motorcycle has been ridden its first 1000 miles ( 1600 kilometers), it should be taken to an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for initial service operations."

page 89

Old 03-20-2010, 05:53 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain

Legal terms. "should" does not mean "must". Read the Moss-Magnussen act. It is for real. The dealers try and play on peoples ignorance. Don't be ignorant. If you want to pay the dealer, fine. Just believe you don't have to.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:55 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
I couldn't find that in my manual. Have they changed the wording?
page 219 in touring manual. In the warranty and maintenance section. "Make an appointment with Harley dealer for inspection and service just before you have ridden 1000 miles" It does not say that it must be taken to Harley or will void warranty, but it's the only reference to a Harley dealer doing any maintenance. Like I said you can do it yourself, but I felt comfortable letting the dealer do mine for $250 and rather not fight about anything down the road if something does happen. I will be doing the rest of my maintenances and keeping records like the manual says

Quick Reply: What is the real deal with the 1000 mile service?