General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank God: Cell Phone/Texting Ban for Iowa

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Thank God: Cell Phone/Texting Ban for Iowa

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...es-on-the-road

Too many have died due to lack of attention to the road.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
DC-LoudSound
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can pass the law .... but getting people to obey it is another story.
Here in California, I see people texting and talking on their phones all the time. I paid attention on my way home from work one day ... 1 out of 4 cars I checked, the driver was on their cell phone. I carry a little sign in my Jeep now ... it says " F You ! and your Cell Phone ! " I get to use it a lot ..... I sould get a shirt made for when I'm on the scooter.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DC-LoudSound
They can pass the law .... but getting people to obey it is another story.
Here in California, I see people texting and talking on their phones all the time. I paid attention on my way home from work one day ... 1 out of 4 cars I checked, the driver was on their cell phone. I carry a little sign in my Jeep now ... it says " F You ! and your Cell Phone ! " I get to use it a lot ..... I sould get a shirt made for when I'm on the scooter.
yep

I like that sign...and the idea for the shirt - should have a national day when everyone on 2 wheels wears that shirt..... wish I had a jammer in my jeep just to shut everyone down for a while

Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the stickers

Attached Thumbnails Thank God: Cell Phone/Texting Ban for Iowa-45609493v6_480x480_front.jpg   Thank God: Cell Phone/Texting Ban for Iowa-mcsafe7.jpg  
Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

Hopefully, Illinois will follow suit. Chicago has a cell phone ban that allows hands-free cells only. Most people ignore the ban, however. Last summer I saw a lady with a rag top down talking on a cell in plain sight.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 713 Posts

They can pass all the laws they want. The problem is the lack of LEO'S to enforce them. Here in Va. as a part of budget cutting they aren't filling firemen and Police officers positions that are retiring. One hell of a place to cut the budget if you ask me.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM
85RoadsterXLS
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Just got passed here too, but as others have said idiots will still do it. DC-LoudSound,
I love the idea for that comment on a T-shirt. If you decide to have some made I am sure they will sell.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Man I am ready for Texas to pass the same law. I got rearended on my motorsickle last year by a high school girl, on the phone, and looking backwards. Jeeez

Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Yes a new ban on texting while driving looks good and hopefully the drivers will adhere to it. As stated here in CA most don't and last week a 17yo girl never even hit her brakes while traveling nortbound running a red light, she struck a vehicle broadside traveling eastbound carrying a 22yo male and 24yo female , killed both . This happened 2 miles from my house very close to a school zone in the afternoon on a Friday, normal type neighborhood , not a rural road. They have not reported why she never touched her brakes but in my experience that usually means texting or to a lesser degree today, changing radio stations. A sad event.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:46 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's a great law .... And although it will never have 100% effectiveness .. There will always be those that just plain won't abide ... (as with any law IE: DUI .. still happens way too much) ... I think there will be a reduction in the number of incidents and that is still better than if they did nothing at all.

Here in Ontario, you can't use any hand held device like a cell phone or even a GPS that will distract you while your driving. It all has to be hands free. Not, as good as completely banning the use of cell phones .. but it will help.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 03-24-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Thank God: Cell Phone/Texting Ban for Iowa