General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for military types about mail

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
mike634
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

News from home is great. It lets you slip away from where you are for a few minutes and keep up with your home town. If your town has a local newspaper send him that to. Mail from friends no matter how long it's been is a nice escape from a deployment.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

If you can get the name and address of someone deployed send them a box of goodies. I can't afford to do it now but not long ago, about once a month, I'd go to the grocery store and pick up a bunch of snack type stuff. Cookies, chips, sardines, a can of coffee, and anything else that wouldn't melt or blow up in the box from heat. You can even toss in some magazines. Take it all over to the UPS store and they will box it and send it to the person. I'll guarantee it will be a big hit, greatly appreciated and shared with his or her buddies.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

wow - that was an interesting comment about my daughter. like where did that come from? the thing is, there is a bit of that. this neighbor is pretty darned good. her current squeeze is alright, but does have some issues. she could do worse. but she could do better.
but then again. nobody is good enough for my daughters.

hooking up with the neighbor would be okay.

Originally Posted by rh8234
You've gotten good advice from several people, and I agree with all of them - write - it will be appreciated.

Regarding your daughter, I wonder if you somehow wish she would consider hooking up with this responsible young man? I know I would be encouraging my youngest daughter (the problem child) to find a man that was responsible and right in the head. My oldest daughter is married to a guy who is currently serving his second tour in Iraq. My youngest daughter is currently in a relationship with a worthless terd, and if I had any influence over her, I would be suggesting that she dump his worthless a$$ and find a responsible man.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

"wow - that was an interesting comment about my daughter. like where did that come from? the thing is, there is a bit of that. this neighbor is pretty darned good. her current squeeze is alright, but does have some issues. she could do worse. but she could do better.

hooking up with the neighbor would be okay."

It was just a feeling I had while reading between the lines of your question Mark. Best of luck to you and the daughter that I know you love!

Old 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by mark10
wow - that was an interesting comment about my daughter. like where did that come from? the thing is, there is a bit of that. this neighbor is pretty darned good. her current squeeze is alright, but does have some issues. she could do worse. but she could do better.

hooking up with the neighbor would be okay.

LOL...I was thinking the same as RH. Besides, who wants their daughter to be with a knuckle dragger?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Send him letter. A surprise out of the blue like that would be welcome.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:20 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

+ However many on the "Do it!"
Mail is always welcomed, and it might mean even more to get mail from someone who is "just a friend". To know that people back home are thinking about you, even those who are not particularly close to you, would have significant meaning to anyone serving overseas.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
MC Chief4
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Military Mail

I just returned from Afghanistan and I assure you snail mail is always welcome. I read anonyms letters sent to any Soldier. I never heard any of the young troops say that they didn't care for receiving mail. I think we would have been concerned for his/her mental state if we had.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 PM
justanotherjim
Road Master

Location: kingman AZ. We aren't in hell, but you can see it from here!!!
Received 62 Likes on 21 Posts

That was one of the big things I enjoyed most, next to the words "Shift colors! The ship is moored!"
USN 1976-1998!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:33 PM
bassgod806
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was deployed to Iraq and the 24th MEU, whenever I got mail it made me happy because it shows that people really do care about you.....even if it just hello in it

Quick Reply: question for military types about mail