General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for military types about mail

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default question for military types about mail

the guy across the street, currently 23, went to high school with my daughter. he went to west point, is currenlty an officer, was stationed over seas.

my daughter and he have done a number of social things together, guess you could say they have always been friends althought they ran in different circles.

his parents and my wife and i are pretty friendly, although again run in different circles.

when he was at westpoint, i had written occassionly. have not written him since.

so i was wondering how much miscellaneous mail means to you guys over seas in the service. since we aren't like close buddies, the letters would more be like neighborhood gossip, talk about my family and what they are doing and miscellaneous things in my life.

when i was in the service we didn't have email, etc. and all that stuff. so the mail thing was different.

don't wanna waste his time or make him feel obligated in any way. but wanna do a good thing if it would be the right thing to do.

what do you think?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:34 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Email or snail mail. It never should be inappropriate to let or troops know we are supporting them. Regardless of our relationships. Just a brief note that lets them know we're thinking about them can mean a lot to our men and women in the military service.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:57 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
Email or snail mail. It never should be inappropriate to let or troops know we are supporting them. Regardless of our relationships. Just a brief note that lets them know we're thinking about them can mean a lot to our men and women in the military service.
a BIG +1.

just knowing someone back in the states thought enough about them to send a letter or email means a lot to our servicemembers.

everyone wants to think they are doing something important - and our soldiers/airmen/sailors/marines/coasties are doing a very important thing and deserves our gratitude and thanks.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 AM
happyh99
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever I go overseas, I wind up getting letters from people I barely remember. Either they run into my parents and find out what I'm doing or friends of friends give them my address. It's usually people I never expected to hear from. It's always apprecaited and I always write back. Mail is one of those things that's never a waste of time when you're away from home.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
rrsjs5
Road Captain

DO IT!!!,my son is in Afganistan now,when we talk the first he ask's is..."What's going on at home?"

Old 04-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Eddie A.
Cruiser

Having just returned from Afghanistan about a month ago and having spent 15 months in Iraq a while back, I can tell you that ANY mail ALWAYS a good thing. It's an awesome feeling to be on the other side of the world and receive something in the mail, no matter what it is. Mail tells us that there are folks out there who support us and are thinking about us. If you get the urge to send him something whether it be a care package or just a letter, just send it. I guarantee he will appreciate it.

Just my .02 from the "Been there, done that, got that t-shirt" club

Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Robin A
Cruiser

Do it,a service member always appriciates mail.Even better "COOKIES" !!!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:42 AM
BobbyD
Road Warrior

I always appreciated getting mail (or as mentioned above) or COOKIES. All kidding aside, any mail is good mail even if it is to say "hi". He'll appreciate it.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

You've gotten good advice from several people, and I agree with all of them - write - it will be appreciated.

Regarding your daughter, I wonder if you somehow wish she would consider hooking up with this responsible young man? I know I would be encouraging my youngest daughter (the problem child) to find a man that was responsible and right in the head. My oldest daughter is married to a guy who is currently serving his second tour in Iraq. My youngest daughter is currently in a relationship with a worthless terd, and if I had any influence over her, I would be suggesting that she dump his worthless a$$ and find a responsible man.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

E-mail, snail-mail...it doesn't matter.
Any news from home is good to hear.
Send cookies too.........everyone likes getting something from home.

Quick Reply: question for military types about mail