General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:07 PM
das56170
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Horn fell off.

So, I'm riding on the 1-35 N leaving Des Moines, and I hit some pretty heavy traffic. There was an accident a few miles up. Traffic is barely moving, 5mph at best. I'm riding in the right lane, and there's a minivan in the left lane next to me. All of a sudden, they start moving over into my lane (no turn signal). They're not cutting me off. There actually moving directly into the spot where I'm riding and force me on to the shoulder. I immediately hit the horn, and nothing happens. So, i rev the engine, but its too late. They're in my lane, and I'm now on the shoulder. Luckily, nothing else happens. I stop at the nearest rest stop and discover that my horn is missing, and the wires are just hanging there. I have no idea how this happened. It must have been recently, since I just used the horn last week. I'm pretty sure that no one stole my horn, but I can't see how it would just fall off without me noticing it.

Moral of the story: check your bike often.

PS. where's the best place to get a cheap replacement horn for a Rocker.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So dude, hasn't sh*t falling off Harleys been like the norm forever? Aren't Harleys why loc-tite was invented?

As for horns....they're my very very last line of defense against cager goofiness. Been riding for a long time, and I bet I use my horn maybe once a year....mainly to get some young butt-twitcher's attention. Unless you've got an airhorn nobody is gonna hear a pissy little MC horn anyway (and my OL has an airhorn on her bike...and if you don't keep it cleaned of road debris it sounds like a pig getting a hilariously minor ***-raping...to the point when she rides up to a group gathering they routinely ask to hear her horn, cause it induces pants-sh*tting levity).

When sh*t happens like you described, I'm busy braking, accelerating, swerving, fancy-cussing, looking for an opening, and basically doing everything but using the horn button. Multi-tasking, for me at least, doesn't include horn use. Using a horn means I expect them to help me out....and obviously the brain-dead mothers aren't really interested in my welfare. If they can't hear my straight pipes they ain't gonna hear my horn over the cell-phone they've got glued to their ear.

Not bustin your *****....glad it worked out alright!

Last edited by krusty1; 04-09-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to sound like an A$$, but when routine maintenance is done you should check all critical fasteners. Sorry about your loss, and maybe no one would stoop as low as to steal a horn, But that would give a whole new meaning to tooting your own horn.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:02 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Good excuse to buy a horn that cars can actually hear!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:20 PM
phm6660
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to remove mine and hang my hammer there in place of it. I am with Krusty1 with the fact that I maybe use mine once or twice a year only to make sure they are looking afterwards to see the finger. To many other things to do in a panic situation than push a button that doesn't speed up, slow or turn your bike for you. Pull clutch whack throttle and if that don't work smash their side mirror off the cage with the hammer you should hang from that naked old horn mount.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine took a tumble there a few weeks back it hangs off the left side of the upper motor mount so it hit my leg on the way down, couldnt catch it in time but i did go back and get it. just as some guy was pulling over to try and snag it, i got the " oh is that yours" remark from him he got an evil glare back LOL loc-tite is your friend LOL