General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do after the repo man

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you know where you finances are at or even before that kick her *** to the curb.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Paul J
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely contact your lender and explain the situation. The repo guy has nothing to do wth this. It is likely that they will want you to pay it off in full for you to get it back. Therefore, unless you got the dough yourself, you may have to get another loan. If you are not able to get the bike back - they can sell it and if it sells for a loss you may STILL have a loan payment. DO NOT wait....

Tough luck on the woman. Your bike will love you more. GOOD LUCK dude and chin up.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Pebbles
Cruiser

So sorry to hear about your situation--it sucks to trust someone just to end up having them do that to you. I agree with everyone else--talk to your lender, I'm sure they'll be happy to work with you to resolve the problem. Good luck!!

Old 04-25-2010, 03:51 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default well, you asked for it

Originally Posted by lmarkie
I let my wife take care of all the finances in the household. I am currently going through a divorce and found out last night that she has not paid Harley Credit for the last 3 months. She had mentioned to me shortly after we got married, that I need to get rid of the Harley because we couldn't afford it and she was no longer interested in it. I had my Harley before I met her and told her that if it goes I go. She got my *** by not paying for it and repo man showed up. Dumb *** me, guess I'm too trusting. I just want to kick myself to death.

I have done my budgeting over and over and I have no problem affording it. I have no idea where the money has gone...

...I always had the money to pay for it but my wife has never kept me informed on what was paid and what was not.

Anyone have any other experience or suggestions on getting my Harley back?
The way you are going to get your Harley back is to:
a) Take a realistic look at your present finances and situation--don't BS yourself! Be honest about it. Is getting the bike back your very first priority? Determine what is, then.
b) Quit trying to blame anyone else for what has happened--take responsibility for your own failure to satisfy an obligation you made prior to your marriage.
c) Go immediately to your bank so that an officer can tell you where you really stand, and suggest a plan, perhaps.
d) THEN, if you still feel that you have the desire and financial ability to keep the bike, workout a solution by contacting the lender directly, providing them with full disclosure and bank contact information; take immediate steps to satisfy their requirements.
If however you find that you do not comfortably have the desire or financial ability to get the bike back, accept it knowing that there are lots more Harleys where that one came from.

Learn and face the whole truth!
Seek professional help.
Say what you mean; do what you say.

lo-rider
'09 FXDC/I Super Glide Custom

Old 04-25-2010, 07:33 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Make sure you check with the finance company ASAP. Even if you give up on the bike, your credit can take just as bad a hit if they sell it and then bill you for the difference. You are (probably, most likely) better off in the long run to get the bike back and satisfy the loan. If you have good credit, you don't want to mess it up, especially in this economy. Check into it, and keep us posted.

Randy D.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:03 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Call Harley credit/the lender. Tell them your situation, and inform them you can pay the money if you can. You may get hit with a late fee for each month and may have to pay a small fee for the repo, but you can get your bike back. They would actually prefer it to be honest with you.

I also think a good curb stomping is in order, with the teeth out on the concrete.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 PM
lmarkie
Intermediate
Default Conclusion to the Story.

Last Thursday as they were repossessing my '06 Road King Custom, my wife told me straight to my face that she had not paid February, March, and April. 3 months totaling about $900. I called Harely credit at about 10:30 am Georgia time being as they are about 3 hours behind. Talk with a guy and explained to him I was going through a divorce and was told by my wife that I was 3 months behind. I said, wait a minute, let me tell you what the real situation is. Turns out that the last payment was Oct. 28,2009. The payoff would be $12,500 plus $600 repo fees and back payment was $4200 plus $600 repo fees. Knowing that I didn't have even the back payment (no problem with $900), I asked him if I paid the back payment could I continue to make the payments. He said he was sorry, due to my payment history they would have to have the full amount of payoff plus $600. I jokingly even asked him if I presented the divorce papers would that matter. He of course said no. Sad moment, she's gone. Also found out that I am 2 months behind on my truck payment. She moved her stuff out last Saturday and now is gone.

If nothing good comes out of this, at least learn from my mistakes and make sure that everyone knows what their payment situation is. Trust no one and make sure your payments are made. I know you're going to ask what did she do with the money? My answer is, I have no idea!

Anyone have any suggestions on how and how long to fix my credit in order to get another bike. I've always had a motorcycle for the past 15 years and this is going to be the first year. It's going to be hard.

Thank you everyone for your contributions. You're a great bunch of people.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:51 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

TRUST NO ONE!.......I had to claim bankruptcy 10 years ago because I trusted my spouse with 2 of my CC's.

My buddy almost had his 08 Heritage repo'd because he did the same thing you did...trusted his spouse with paying the bills.

when are people going to learn.....YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYONE BUT YOURSELF!!

I really do feel for you guys...because I was there....but you really do bring it on yourselves and have no one to blame but yourselves.

Take this little bit of hard earned wisdom and learn from it.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Well. I have been married almost 22 years and my wife handles the finances for the home and I do the business. She has only made 2 big errors in that time. BUT....I have all the statements mailed to our PO Box and I get the mail. So,I see the house & car payments and CC bills every month. It is not a matter of trust I just like to know what is going on. The old addage "a stitch in time is worth nine" is very true when it comes to paying your bills.

When it comes to money.....9 out of 10 women could F**k up a junkyard.

Now this is all JMHO.

I would go see a public credit counselor and get your credit back. .

BTW, what did you do to pizz her off this bad?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:07 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lmarkie
Last Thursday as they were repossessing my '06 Road King Custom, my wife told me straight to my face that she had not paid February, March, and April. 3 months totaling about $900. I called Harely credit at about 10:30 am Georgia time being as they are about 3 hours behind. Talk with a guy and explained to him I was going through a divorce and was told by my wife that I was 3 months behind. I said, wait a minute, let me tell you what the real situation is. Turns out that the last payment was Oct. 28,2009. The payoff would be $12,500 plus $600 repo fees and back payment was $4200 plus $600 repo fees. Knowing that I didn't have even the back payment (no problem with $900), I asked him if I paid the back payment could I continue to make the payments. He said he was sorry, due to my payment history they would have to have the full amount of payoff plus $600. I jokingly even asked him if I presented the divorce papers would that matter. He of course said no. Sad moment, she's gone. Also found out that I am 2 months behind on my truck payment. She moved her stuff out last Saturday and now is gone.

If nothing good comes out of this, at least learn from my mistakes and make sure that everyone knows what their payment situation is. Trust no one and make sure your payments are made. I know you're going to ask what did she do with the money? My answer is, I have no idea!

Anyone have any suggestions on how and how long to fix my credit in order to get another bike. I've always had a motorcycle for the past 15 years and this is going to be the first year. It's going to be hard.

Thank you everyone for your contributions. You're a great bunch of people.
damn.......very sorry to see it ended like this.
Maybe you can pick up something cheap to ride around this summer.
It's all knees in the breeze

Quick Reply: What to do after the repo man