General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are Harley seats built like benches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why are Harley seats built like benches?

Why are Harley seats all hard as a wooden park bench? I ordered a custom seat right after I bought my FLHT that was supposed to be super comfortable, yet after two or three hours my backside hurts so bad I have tears in my eyes. I've noticed in the threads about custom seats there is usually a comment about how the shape on such and such a seat is nice, but they are hard. Is there any reason why motorcycle seats can't be built with a little squish in them? Anyone have a seat that doesn't feel like you are sitting on a wooden plank?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:43 PM
purvissp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley Sundowner feels pretty good on your butt, but no back rest. I replaced it with a Mustang Vintage Wide with back rest. Just got it on and the back rest is super, seat is pretty good too. They say it takes a few miles to get them broke in.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:48 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a mustang 2-up seat on my1999 883 Sportster, and it feels good. Rides well with 2 on it as well. Wouldn't change it for anything.

RD

Old 04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I never owned a bike that I liked the stock seat. HD included. Corbin all the way for me.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:01 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I like the Sundowner seat on my 99 RK, So I never changed it. But finding the right seat for you may take several tries. I've had bikes where I changed the seat out more than a few times. The Mustang seat I had on an 87 Softail felt hard as a brick at first but after a few times riding it in hot weather if fit like a glove. Never had a Corbin but they look like top quality seats from the ones I've seen. Unrelated to the OP's original question but worth noting, LePera customer service was "hands down" THE worst customer service I'd ever dealt with. I've never been yelled at for wanting to return a defective part before. The seat had a very bent seat pan. The girls name was Christine, I'll never give them money again.

Last edited by BikerV; 04-26-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:03 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

they're made that way so you'll upgrade it....with the hopes of you buying a Harley one, of course

Last edited by schumacher; 04-26-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well for me the stock seat on my 06 Ultra fits my *** just fine. Maybe i am just lucky

Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM
trib
Intermediate

I'm with MZbuckeye. With the exception of my 500 Triumph, I've changed the saddle (and handlebars) of every bike I've owned. I've found that the Factory Custom saddles are not much better that the stock OEM units. The reason I imagine is cost. To keep the prices down, they just don't use quality materials. But hell if your paying 20 plus large for a bike, saddle comfort shouldn't be an issue. Corbin and Mustang are the only ones i've found that I can live with.
Of course having said that, I also have to say that comfort is a subjective term. Some may have no problems with OEM seats. But most of us, if you spend anytime on a bike, will eventually opt for an aftermarket, quality saddle.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

My stock seat doesn't bother me at all.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:28 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

First thing to go was my spoked front rim, second thing to go was my stock seat. Seemed to be a lot of good things said about Corbin seats so I went with a Gunslinger and Lady seat and couldn't be happier. I guess Harley has to sell their bikes with a seat on it so they may make them intentionally uncomfortable in hopes you will buy one of their more expensive models. I almost said HD custom seat but they are all mass produced.

Quick Reply: Why are Harley seats built like benches?