General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voiding the Warranty!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Voiding the Warranty!

So, a few months ago, I took a 2010 CrossBones off my local dealer's hands. With that, they also threw in the first three services free of charge as a part of some special they were having.

However, as many of you may know, I am NOT mechanically inclined, but have been trying to learn little bits and ends of my bike. Doing research on how the parts go together, what they do, etc. Before, I just took it all for granted and had someone else do all the work. Now, I want to do it. Aside from the 3 services, which the HD store will do. After those get used up, I plan on doing it myself.

Anyway, I'm getting a lot of different feedback from different individuals regarding an important issue that may be voiding the warranty on my bike. That is one of self labour on the bike itself. Apparently, working on the bike anywhere outside the H-D dealership and under the supervision of a trained mechanic, any work done on the bike violates and VOIDS the warranty. So, I guess I am not sure if adjusting the bars, replacing the cam cover, grips, etc. on my own violates the warranty. I'm getting different viewpoints on it, so I'm not sure how intensive I can get, and am not sure if I am technically allowed to do so much as touch it. lol. I know, it sounds crazy. But, when I got the bike, I wasn't under any impression that any of this could potentially violate the warranty, unless there is a major performance upgrade involved. And, with the performance upgrade, it seems that can violate the warranty regardless of who does the upgrade, or where the upgrade is done.

I guess...I guess I just need some advice on what I can and cannot do and still keep my warranty clear.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're going to work on it yourself, keep all receipts and write the date and the bike's mileage on the receipt. This is for maintenance work. If you do modifications (exhaust, intake, change stock computer settings), the dealer can void warranty because you changed the bike from "stock".

I didn't have a warranty to begin with on the bike, but on my truck I was very meticulous about keeping my maintenance records in case something may have happened and did nothing to modify the computer or engine.

Keep every receipt for everything you do or put on the bike. That's my advice. It's also good to have those records if you decide to sell- the prospective buyer will most likely appreciate the history.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Clutch13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It always cracks me up listening to some sales guy stating that doing this or doing that will void the warranty. Apparently anything other than missionary sex and polishing the scoot with a microfiber towel will void the warranty (don't ride it, that'll void the warranty).

The burden of a voided warranty is on them, not on you. For your own purpose, keep records of your services and possibly receipts just in case a question ever arises, but I've done all the services from 1k on up myself and never been questioned on any warranty work I've had...but you'll find at different dealers that they'll try to escape any warranty work by giving you BS responses.

Ultimately to invalidate warranty work, it has to be proven that the work you performed on your scoot was the direct cause of the failure being covered by warranty. And then, the warranty would only expressly be voided for the piece covered.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:54 PM
stevent
Road Master

As far as maintenance like oil and filter changes they can't void the warranty if you do it yourself, nor do you have to use Harley-Davidson oil or filters, the oil and filter you use merely has to meet their specification, ie; 20w50 or 15w40 motor oil and a comparable filter designed for that bike. Just save your receipts and write down the date and mileage that you did the work. As far as any performance mods, that's technically a violation because it causes the bike to go out of spec for EPA noise and emissions as stamped on the mufflers. If they wanted to play hard ball then they could deny a claim based on that. Whether they would or not is another question but the potential is there.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:05 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by Clutch13
It always cracks me up listening to some sales guy stating that doing this or doing that will void the warranty.

It just reminds me of a time when I had to replace a bicycle frame. See, I was (and still am) real into cycling of all sorts. In this instance, mountain biking. Anyway, I purchased a bike that was capable of descending off 30' cliffs with ease. However, around SW Missouri, we don't have that kind of environment, so I just used it as an all-mountian trail bike. Well, as things would have it, the frame eventually cracked. Considering that I pretty much babied it, as compared to its original intent, I was pretty upset and in disbelief. When I took the bike to the dealership, it had to be shipped in to the company that manufactured it. After about two weeks, I got a call from the dealership, from the company, regarding the warranty. Apparently, if the bike is used as a trail bike, hits any tree or hard surfaces; or, at any time during ownership of the bike, the two wheels leave contact with the ground simultaneously, the warranty is voided. Well...who owns a mountain bike and does not at the very least bunny hop it? Who doesn't take it "off-road"? Considering the original intent of the bike, I was shocked that such little things could void the warranty.

All in all, I had a fit about it, and the company did replace my frame...but, without warranty this time.

So, I guess I just have a tendency to believe the worst-case scenario when I am told of these things.

For instance, shortly after getting the bike, I took off the timing cover (I just wanted to see the empty crevice), and have recently changed out the brackets holding my mirrors and turn signals. I was told that by doing this, I may have voided my warranty. Needless to say...I was all

Thanks for the advice! I had definitely planned on keeping reciepts, but I didn't think about data.

By the way, why is there an empty crevice behind the timing cover? It seems it would have been more appropriate to just make a flat cam cover. Oh, well...the H-D design crew didn't ask me.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Your warrenty can ONLY be voided if the moco can PROVE that something yoyu did is the direct CAUSE of a problem that should have been covered.

Doing your own work, adding parts, changing parts, will NOT void your warrenty unless such part absolutly causes the issue that you need fixed under warrenty.

In other words...

If you have an engine problem, they can not void your warrenty because you changed a gauge. No way a gauge caused the problem.

Your new exhaust didn't cause the guage to stop working...so warrenty is still in force for the guage...

You get the picture..

Like otehrs said...KEEP reciepts and list the milage on ALL work performed. the better your documentation, the less hassle you will have...

Old 04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Look up the Magnuson Moss act. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act The MoCo will tell you anything to try and keep your business.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:57 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutch13
It always cracks me up listening to some sales guy stating that doing this or doing that will void the warranty. Apparently anything other than missionary sex and polishing the scoot with a microfiber towel will void the warranty (don't ride it, that'll void the warranty).

The burden of a voided warranty is on them, not on you. For your own purpose, keep records of your services and possibly receipts just in case a question ever arises, but I've done all the services from 1k on up myself and never been questioned on any warranty work I've had...but you'll find at different dealers that they'll try to escape any warranty work by giving you BS responses.

Ultimately to invalidate warranty work, it has to be proven that the work you performed on your scoot was the direct cause of the failure being covered by warranty. And then, the warranty would only expressly be voided for the piece covered.
Originally Posted by Trailfndr
Your warrenty can ONLY be voided if the moco can PROVE that something yoyu did is the direct CAUSE of a problem that should have been covered.

Doing your own work, adding parts, changing parts, will NOT void your warrenty unless such part absolutly causes the issue that you need fixed under warrenty.

In other words...

If you have an engine problem, they can not void your warrenty because you changed a gauge. No way a gauge caused the problem.

Your new exhaust didn't cause the guage to stop working...so warrenty is still in force for the guage...

You get the picture..

Like otehrs said...KEEP reciepts and list the milage on ALL work performed. the better your documentation, the less hassle you will have...
There you go! Couldn't have said it better myself. Had 3 fast oil change shops for over 10 yrs and I heard just about everything imagineable that car dealers had told buyers. The uniformed buyer is SO gullible.

Last edited by dirtracin23; 04-30-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Sometimes they void your warranty even if they do the work. I'm thinking of one guy here on HDForums in particular. I think he got it worked out (after many months) but they don't want to pay if you are willing to foot the bill.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default Warranty voided

I agree with the previous posters. But be careful when you start modifying the fuel management system and the electronics. For example, if you go to a Thundermax system which actually replaces your stock ECM unit, you have pretty much voided your warranty. The ecm being the brains of the bike and controls so many elements by replacing it the possibility of it screwing something up is possible. That's the advise that the dealer gave me, he said most anything else would depend on how it is related to the problem. Don't know if this helps or just adds to the confusion!

Quick Reply: Voiding the Warranty!