General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which states have the toughest laws

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 11:47 AM
hogster1961
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which states have the toughest laws

So me and my Girlfriend are coming to the U.S(from the uk) for a 3-6 month visit,she has a short term work contract,I was planning to bring my old Sporty over but from what I've gleaned from here it just ain't worth it so I'm gonna buy in the US and use that bike to tool around on during our visit.
Just wondered how tight the laws are state to state regarding stuff like loud pipes,blinkers,mirrors etc,we will be mainly in the Maine/NewHampshire areas if that helps.
Also a friend of mine from Boston says it's a buyers market but looking on Ebay and Craigs list I don't see any real bargains to be had....am I looking in the wrong places or do I need to look forward to some hard negotiating,any advice is much appreciated?

Old 05-16-2010, 02:14 PM
mikeault
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in PA, and I've never heard of anyone getting stopped for missing equipment and I know guys who don't have blinkers, brake lights, inspection, registration, etc... Come to think of it, I don't know many people who have been pulled over on a cruiser either. Sport bikes take the brunt of the harassment here. I've passed cops doing 85 on the highway, and been like oh ****... expecting red and blue behind me any minute but they haven't come so far. Knock on wood.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:10 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 181 Posts

The majority of bikes I've seen on E-bay, Craig's list and elsewhere on the net are overpriced, (many are posted by dealers) and you sometimes see the same bike at the same price for months as the seller still believes that his investment will never loose its value.
Keep looking, you will know a good deal when you find it.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:19 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 755 Likes on 478 Posts

everything in massachusetts is illegal.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:15 PM
gmilich
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ANIMAL03
everything in massachusetts is illegal.
what he said!!!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:38 PM
stovetop0844
Cruiser

Craigslist is hit or miss. Many times you just gotta see the bike in person, show sme interest, and then see how flexible the price is. I bought my wife an SUZ off there two years ago and was able to barter the price down by roughly a third. I'd advise you wait til you get to the states to start really looking around.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:50 PM
ecvjohnny
Tourer

I've seen some good deals on craigslist recently. it can be hit or miss at times, good deals go fast. another site is www.cycletrader.com . 3-6 months is a helluva long time to get out and see some stuff. enjoy your trip.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Ind is cool,,, unless U ride like a fool...

Old 05-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Coolbreeze
Road Master

Come on down here to Carolina, we will treat you good. But then again, due to a recent experience in Virginia, you could fair well in either place.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:30 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Helmet laws are weird here. In South Carolina, no helmet is required. But in Myrtle Beach SC, they have changed the law and will pop you at the city limit. Just ask specific questions about the laws. I live in NC, right on the Va line, and have never had a problem from either state whatsoever.

Welcome in advance. Enjoy the ride, and our hospitality!

Quick Reply: which states have the toughest laws