General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Shovelheads just boat anchors now????

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:34 AM
BikerB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are Shovelheads just boat anchors now????

i have 2 ofem and still love the ride and the noise. at least i could always put my chain back together and get home. the only time i have ever been stranded and needed to be hauled in was on my 94 Police Evo. broke the belt in the Canadian Rockies!!!
Bear[8D]

Old 08-23-2006, 09:40 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a link to my Local Antique Run thread. Proving they're still alot out there.

veniculum, Here's a little HD engine history:

1909 First "V-Twin" engine
1936 80" Side Valve Twin engine and the first "Knuckle Head" 61" engine
1948 74" "Panhead" engine is introduced
1966 The introduction of the "shovel head" engine
1969 Merger with American Machine and Foundry Company (AMF)
1981 Senior executives at Harley-Davidson purchase the company from AMF. Harley-Davidson once again becomes a privately owned
company.
1984 The Introduction of the "Evolution" engine

Old 08-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Winberry Farms
Tourer

I do most of my riding with my family....lets see

Cousin - 81 Electra Glide (Beautiful Bike)

Cousin - 78 Super Glide (Looks Brand New and gets all the head turns)

Father - 79 Wide Glide (Bought brand new..still looks brand new)

Fathers Friend - 81 Wide Glide ( We are rebuilding her as we speak...parts are no problem at all)

And then there's me .... the odd ball with the new bike....lol

Boat anchor...Who ever told you that knows nothing about Harleys

Old 08-23-2006, 01:43 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: RudeDog

Here's a link to my Local Antique Run thread. Proving they're still alot out there.

veniculum, Here's a little HD engine history:

1909 First "V-Twin" engine
1936 80" Side Valve Twin engine and the first "Knuckle Head" 61" engine
1948 74" "Panhead" engine is introduced
1966 The introduction of the "shovel head" engine
1969 Merger with American Machine and Foundry Company (AMF)
1981 Senior executives at Harley-Davidson purchase the company from AMF. Harley-Davidson once again becomes a privately owned
company.
1984 The Introduction of the "Evolution" engine
Thanks Rude...I have the big Willie G. harley book (100 years)...and they detail a number of bikes...just wasn't sure of the year the shovel came out. Does the fact that these engines correspond with the AMF buyout affect anyone's opinion of them negatively...or do you guys think it doesn't really matter. Reason I'm asking is because even according to Willie G. himself, he admits there was a quality issue with those particular bikes during the AMF era. Even the other day, I was at the dealer and saw an old 70s era harley with the AMF logo on the tank sitting in the parking lot...under the engine, on the pavement there was a big oil stain.
Being that I don't know much about Harleys before the Evo era, I would be skeptical about buying something that Willie G himself metions as a low point in the Motor Company's history.
I could be completely wrong, and I'm certainly not trying to bash that engine, or anyone who owns a bike with it.....just curious what your thoughts are on this..especially those of you who were into Harleys at the time that this was going on. I, myself, am only 34 years old...so while the AMF thing was going on, I was barely old enough to even know what a motorcycle was.
Thanks for your comments.

Todd

Old 08-23-2006, 04:51 PM
stubby
Road Captain

I don't believe it was so much a quality problem under amf as a dealership problem. Soon after amf took over Harley I believe they required all shops to have what you see today as showroom space and keep so many bikes in stock. Pretty much the same system as today. A lot of the Harley mom and pop shops had to give up their franchises. The people across America who bought these franchises for the most part were not invested in Harley and it's riders a much as making the buck. In a lot of towns the old shops became independent shops and their mechanics knew how to keep bikes on the road.
Anyhow, the leak you saw was probably from the primary. For some reason the aftermarket people at that time could not build a primary even with an expensive rubber gasket that would not leak. Having the oem primary cover chromed was the best bet for prevented a leak.
A shovelhead is a tight , high compression engine that responds quickly to throttle and, I would think with parts still readily available, an easy bike to build.