General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Highway Lane

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:31 AM
dnebout
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Highway Lane

What lane do you all feel safest in? Fast, middle or slow lane? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:39 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The one that is moving is usually my first choice, but if the roads are clear I would choose the fast lane, generally I am running about 10-15mph over the posted limit anyway. The middle lane would give you more reaction time to anything coming from either side of the road and draw the least amount of attention from the law, the fast lane is usually the first lane the look for when checking speed, and the slow lane is a dead give away if you are blowing past cars in the middle and/or fast lane.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:41 AM
dnebout
Cruiser

I'm looking more for the safest lane not the least ticketed lane.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:45 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

As said the middle lane give you more reaction time to anything coming from the sides of the road, but to feel safe at any giving moment, that would be a hard call, I tend to get notions about when and where to change lanes and I go with my gut feeling about 95% of the time, and so far I have been extremly lucky.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:48 AM
dnebout
Cruiser

Thanks. I was riding home in the rain in the slow lane from work after just buying the bike 3 hours earlier and a car crosses 2 lanes to catch an exit that they were about to miss. 10 Years ago, I never thought about it, but now I'm a getting a little leary

Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

The number 1 rule I follow is to think that all of the vechiles on the roads are driven by IDIOTS, and with that I try to steer clear of them, weather it be to allow them to pass and follow them with a little distance between us, or just get out in front and never look back (until I have to stop). You have gotta keep your mind on everything going on around you, so you gotta keep looking out for yourself

Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 AM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No lane is safe with all of these cell phone using booger-eatin morons on the road!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:10 AM
anickel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one on the secondary rd that runs parallel to the hwy!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer

I didn't know there were fast, middle or slow lanes. There is the travel lane (right lane) and one or more passing lanes. When not passing, you should be in the travel lane. I know travel and passing lanes enforcement is not a priority in any state so most US drivers have started to use all available lanes as travel lanes. Really messes up traffic for those that want to pass and can't because granny is in the passing (fast) lane doing 45.

Here in Germany the travel/passing lane laws are strictly enforced. You can and will be ticketed for traveling in the left (passing) lane on the autobahn if not passing. You will also be ticketed in a heartbeat if you are caught passing anyone on the right. There are exceptions for heavy traffic such as rush hour or a traffic jam. But then traffic is bumper to bumper and moving about 5 mph. It really does make driving over here much easier and less stressful with the enforcement of these laws. I wish they would start enforcing these laws in the states. It would make travel faster and safer.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 AM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You always have to look at the situation at that given moment.
Ie. your example I always think ahead what if? So I would move to a left lane if there is an exit comming up to avoid those *** holes that don't plan ahead and cut over at the last minute. someone on a cell phone assume they are not paying attention keep an eye on them and stay far away. You can't be a tourist when operating a motorcycle, you must be in control 100% of the time and know what you are going to do if the worst happens.
I have a pilots liciense and I was trained to fly. Pilots are trained to always have a place to land if there is an emergency or know what to do if some emergency comes up. That is how you become an old pilot. Remember Sully the guy that landed in the Hudson river. Trust me he planed on that landing ever time he departed the airport.

Quick Reply: Which Highway Lane