General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you ride a Harley if you had to use stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 PM
logdon17
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you ride a Harley if you had to use stock exhaust?

As most of you have noticed, the government is getting tighter and tighter on emissions. Obviously, running open pipes is technically illegal but thankfully I have yet to be ticketed (and I have rode past plenty of cops with nothing better to do). Truth be told, the only reason I have paid the large premium to own a Harley is that soul satisfying, one of a kind sound that is its own addictive drug that makes me feel alive. If i was forced to keep my stock pipes on, I would sell my bike. As nice as it looks, the sound is what keeps me riding. How much does the Harley sound (this means any pipes not from the factory) mean to you?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:09 AM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as I could ride it wouldn't bother me,get tired of the noise sometimes !!!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:14 AM
Lincoln33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have stock pipes on my Streetbob but I plan to change that. If for some reason I couldn't change the pipes I'd still ride my Harley since thats the bike I prefer to ride.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 AM
BladeRun
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also love the sound of the Harley with non-stock pipes, but I wouldnt give up riding or my bike if I had to go back to stock. Hell, I had the bike 6 years before I put the Monster Ovals on

Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 AM
JLOX
Tourer

good question... to which my answer would be yes... Now if my Harley sounded like a Goldwing... ah, NO. I'd find something else to toot around on.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Aires59
Cruiser

The sound is a part of the bike

Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I just took my straight drag pipes off, and put on a set of stock exhausts. I wasn't expecting it to be this quiet, but it is OK. I kind of like it, and I think it will definitely keep me out of trouble. To each his own. I like the rumble of loud pipes, but not all the time. Everyone has their own opinion, and they should get to voice it.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:26 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

The MOCO put about 5 Million $$ into the new exhaust designs on the current lineup knowing full well that-that would be the first mod that most owners would choose to replace. Pretty smooth on their part. Stock headers from the MOCO sound as gay as Ru-paul.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you..., if you had to... ?

If you HAD to, would you have any other choice?

Or, are you asking if we were required by law to change back to OEM exhaust, would we sell the Harley rather than adhere to the law? Ummm, look around you. Most municipalities already have noise restrictions in place. Do you see everyone obeying them now?

If we were required by law to change back to OEM exhaust, then only the criminals would have loud pipes! Why do the criminals always get things their way? Don't the law abiding citizens ever get to feel they have any rights? It's un-F*CKING-FAIR DAMMIT!

I think I'll start a petition, demanding that all criminals should have to relinquish all their cool **** to local authorities, so that it can be distributed equally among the small portion of citizens who actually obey ALL laws.

****, I'd STILL lose out...

Old 05-27-2010, 02:56 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

yes, in fact i do, cause I have to....

Quick Reply: Would you ride a Harley if you had to use stock exhaust?