General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I admit it, I lost it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:53 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've just proven you're human, it's perfectly normal to have emotions like you did, especially when you are looking at the physical evidence of the event's results. Smell is also one of the strongest emotional triggers in the human being, smelling gas and oil obviously were for you. Glad it wasn't anymore serious than it was. Good luck on the rebuild, it sounds like a long-term project. Restoring the bike though may be a great healing tool for you. As you get stronger physically and emotionally your bike will be "healing" with you. Sounds like it might just be what the doctor ordered! Good luck and keep giving us updates on how the two of you are doing.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:39 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHJEA
I feel your pain. Buried my good friend's wife yesterday afternoon, 23yr old driver failed to yield and now two teenage kids are without a mother. My friend looks like he's aged 10yrs and hobbled around at the funeral with a cane. Last thing he said as he hugged me after the bruncheon was "don't sell your bike, I will be riding again". I am grateful he survived and am just taking it one day at a time. Hang in there brother.
There was some talk on here awhile back about accident threads and why post them. I said I appreciated them and tried to learn from them. That was then. This story here just completely screwed with my head today. I went riding up the mountains with my wife but she could tell something was off and I wasn't riding like I normally do. I just couldn't get the image of your friend burying his wife out of my head. She could tell I was nervous and I was. Too bad as it is a beautiful day here and the mountains were just perfect but I had a hard time relaxing and enjoying the ride. I am far more concerned with the dangers of riding than she is. She says almost anything we could do has it's dangers and if something happens while we are riding to not feel guilty about it. Just don't know if I could do that but I do need to learn to relax.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Lardog666
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, fast forward three years... I am finally back on two wheels. I am the proud owner of a 78 iron head sporty(a year older then my last one that I wrecked) there are a lot of things I want to do and change but it will wait. I am just going to put some miles on this season and do what I want to it over the winter.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Lardog666
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whoops this posted under my brothers log in

Old 07-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 36 Posts

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle as you had planned.

Ride safe brother.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,213 Likes on 17,588 Posts

Originally Posted by spotzhill
I have never started a thread before but I have posted here and there and know many of you through these forums. I thought I would post this thread to help me get my head around this situation.

I was in an accident involving myself on my 79 Ironhead and a 51 year old women in a geo prism. I was travaling through an intersection going under an overpass when the prism ran a red light and our vehicles collided.
she was at fault and recieved a ticket. I went to the hospital for a 8 day visit.

It has now been eleven days since the accident. I am at home and have spent the last couple days putting my house back in order. House being a metaphor for my life both professional and private. I am walking with a cane and have a fresh new scar that runs from just above the inside of my right eye travaling at about a 45 degree angle crossing my eyebrow going to my hair line courtesy of a 95 geo prism driver door frame. But my pelvis is healing, I am breathing and still get to kiss my son goodnight.

I went to my friends Indy shop where my now wreaked Ironhead is and took a look at her. As I stared at her mangled frame the details of the accident hit me and I could hear the sounds of the impact and I could smell the gas and oil that flowed out of my bike like the vital fluids of a wounded friend. I stared for what seemed like an eternity until my brother placed a hand on my shoulder and asked if I was OK. I asked him for a screwdriver and removed the license plate from my sporty. We walked inside, sat down and passed a bowl around. I thought about the accident, my two year old son, family, friends everything. I admit it, I lost it. Now I didn't start whinning or sobbing or anything like that but the enormity of the situation hit me, The anxiety and fear that those close to me went through while I was in the hospital. The feeling of gratitude I feel to the universe for still being alive. As these feelings washed over me tears flowed out of my eyes and I lost it.

I decided then and there I will rebuild her. I bought her wrecked I will not give up on her. I have a long road of recovery and rebuilding ahead of me but at least I am still walking a road. I feel a better then when I started this post, at least my hands have stopped shaking. I should have titled it "It is not how many times you get knocked down. But how many times you get back up"
Been there , coming face to face with the fact the reaper just missed is cause for a case of heeby jeebies in anybodies book .

Old 07-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Glad yer back, Larry!

Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you up and moving ahead.. I've had accidents and incidents that have brought the family into my thoughts, "what would my wife and kids do if something happened to me?" Really didn't click in my head until about 3 years ago. Had a friend and his wife on vacation in Cancun, walking along the beach. Rouge wave came up and washed them both out to sea. He drowned and his wife survived. That's when I told my wife that I was buying another motorcycle after being off one for 29 years.... When it's your time brother, ain't no stopping it.. no matter where you are. Saw on the news last week were a 21 year old counselor died when the top of a tree broke off and fell on the picnic table they were setting at... injured 2 or 3 more...Can't escape that...... Get well and continue on---Working on the old girl will help I would imagine....

Last edited by ZUTEDUFF; 07-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Mathom
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are healing and look forward to pics of the rebuild. The day you fire her up you might lose it a little again, but bet you will have a big grin on your face

Old 07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
JohnSWA
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Glad you're still with us Brother!

Quick Reply: I admit it, I lost it.