General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I admit it, I lost it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:14 PM
spotzhill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I admit it, I lost it.

I have never started a thread before but I have posted here and there and know many of you through these forums. I thought I would post this thread to help me get my head around this situation.

I was in an accident involving myself on my 79 Ironhead and a 51 year old women in a geo prism. I was travaling through an intersection going under an overpass when the prism ran a red light and our vehicles collided.
she was at fault and recieved a ticket. I went to the hospital for a 8 day visit.

It has now been eleven days since the accident. I am at home and have spent the last couple days putting my house back in order. House being a metaphor for my life both professional and private. I am walking with a cane and have a fresh new scar that runs from just above the inside of my right eye travaling at about a 45 degree angle crossing my eyebrow going to my hair line courtesy of a 95 geo prism driver door frame. But my pelvis is healing, I am breathing and still get to kiss my son goodnight.

I went to my friends Indy shop where my now wreaked Ironhead is and took a look at her. As I stared at her mangled frame the details of the accident hit me and I could hear the sounds of the impact and I could smell the gas and oil that flowed out of my bike like the vital fluids of a wounded friend. I stared for what seemed like an eternity until my brother placed a hand on my shoulder and asked if I was OK. I asked him for a screwdriver and removed the license plate from my sporty. We walked inside, sat down and passed a bowl around. I thought about the accident, my two year old son, family, friends everything. I admit it, I lost it. Now I didn't start whinning or sobbing or anything like that but the enormity of the situation hit me, The anxiety and fear that those close to me went through while I was in the hospital. The feeling of gratitude I feel to the universe for still being alive. As these feelings washed over me tears flowed out of my eyes and I lost it.

I decided then and there I will rebuild her. I bought her wrecked I will not give up on her. I have a long road of recovery and rebuilding ahead of me but at least I am still walking a road. I feel a better then when I started this post, at least my hands have stopped shaking. I should have titled it "It is not how many times you get knocked down. But how many times you get back up"

Attached Thumbnails I admit it, I lost it.-bike.jpg  

Last edited by spotzhill; 06-05-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad it wasn't worse and good luck with your recovery.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:25 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn ! Good to be able to read your post . Get stronger .

Old 06-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Lardog666
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

J... you & I already talked... but I wanted to reiterate... it's o.k. to lose it at the appropriate time... & I would consider 8 days after the fact appropriate... Yes you were extremely lucky, but you kept your head when it counted... & that's all that the universe can ask...

Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn son! More power to you, you've got more spunk than me if you can rebuild that, good luck and hope you recover quickly.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Damn. Good luck on the continuing recovery and rebuilding.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:33 PM
High Gear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ata boy that's the spirit,.....keep your head on a swivel .

Old 06-04-2010, 04:36 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,024 Posts

Been there, 10-15-01. I spent over a year in rehab thanks to a left turning Soccer Mom. Wasn't enough left of my '97 Ultra to rebuild, so got another one and got back in the wind,..... finally. It really took me almost 8 years to make it back to where I am now, but the waite was worth the pain. I just rode a 2900 mile round trip to NC last month, SOLO! MY FIRST ROAD TRIP SINCE 2001!................... Just hang in there and take things ONE day at a time. You'll be just fine!!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. You can't keep a good man down!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:47 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my friend losing it is perfectly fine, glad your on the mend.

once you have had a chance to go over her a bit and see what you need. looks liek i am gonna have a few spare parts and left overs from my build of " 'Rissa" so whatever ui have left consider it yours for the having. im to poor/broke to be able to help with any of the green stuff that goes in your wallet, but given the amount of good karma i have gotten from HDF members with my situation i would love to be able to pay at least a little bit forward

Quick Reply: I admit it, I lost it.