General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decertified (DOT) helmets & enforcement ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 PM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decertified (DOT) helmets & enforcement ?

With the recent ACC/headtrip helmet losing it's dot approval on thier line of helmets that WAS previously approved by DOT , how is enforcement going to be? Just wondering , due to the lid laws in some of the state's & Canada that require a lid. Will every copper on the road know they are no longer certified? Just how would the situation be handled on the side of the road IF the officer actually knew of the decertification? Personally , unless I frequented this site I would never ever even know they were decertified , much less the suprise on the side of the road , in finding out!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Leave the DOT sticker and remove the ACC sticker. There, problem solved.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think you'll ever be questioned. There's more important things for the cops to worry about, like who's driving drunk.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rydermike
Will every copper on the road know they are no longer certified?
Probly not. I had a hard time finding out for sure if it was legal to take the doors off my Jeep a few years ago. I talked to several officers and got a few different answers. I finally found one that also had a Jeep and got to the truth. Likely the same will happen in this, only officers that ride will know all the details.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

somehow, i doubt the average traffic officer can distinguish between brands of helmets, or their certification status, or would care even if he did. around here (middle georgia), cops dont even care about the *obviously* non-DOT skid lids, so i cant imagine them fussing about a once-but-no-longer-DOT helmet.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 AM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Dont tell them. no problem

Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I know several military bases know about the recall and have made it clear that they're no longer allowed. Question is, do you really want to potentially give a LEO another thing to hassle you over if/when you get stopped?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Default Decert.

Just to be clear here. DOT does NOT certify any helmets. The DOT provides the manufactures of helmets a set of standards that must be met, safety and otherwise, in order to legally display the DOT sticker. But it is up to the manufacture to decide whether or not they want to meet the standards or not. Here in Las Vegas several of the last motorcycle accidents resulting in fatalities, the riders were wearing non-DOT helmets. As a result the media is in a frenzy over whether there should be some sort of enforcement by Metro. police. Stay tuned...the do gooders are at it again!!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 AM
10ring
Road Captain

I have now polled 31 officers concerning the ACC decertification. Included in this mix are state, county, municipal, and tribal officers. Five of the officers are riders. Only three officers had even heard of ACC helmets (and they were three of the five riders) and NO officers were aware of the recall. That said, this is, thankfully, a no-helmet-law state. As an aside, no agency had received any LE "press release" concerning the matter.
It is my belief that if one is not otherwise causing/being a problem, then the "my DOT helmet ain't really a DOT helmet" issue is a non-starter unless one encounters some "Barney Cop", and those guys would ticket you for having an untied shoelace. Also, you might not want to wear ACC products in Myrtle Beach for awhile......

Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does eveybody feel a need to protect me from myself??!!!?? Whether or not I wear a helmet, or whether or not its DOT/TUV/ACC/LSMFT certified is a decision to be made by each and every adult. We don't need insurance companies, safety organizations, government, and what not attempting to legislate safe behavior to us. We either practice it or we don't, but it's up to each individual to make that decision for himself. Rant over....and out.

Quick Reply: Decertified (DOT) helmets & enforcement ?