General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

who all has rode after shoulder or neck surgery???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 PM
heymoej
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who all has rode after shoulder or neck surgery???

hey all,

my bone doc is trying to schedule me for some more surgeries......4 to be exact, after about 2 hours of xrays.
and yes i had another doctor look at the xrays.....with basically the same report.

both shoulders are shot,my neck has 3 burst disk with 1 being severe and i have floating debris in my left hip........bone fragments they presume. the neck is what scares me.......

i already have pins in the right shoulder & both legs.....and have been living with all the rest i mentioned above for many years.

its getting to where i cant sleep at night,i just cant get comfortable......the damn cortizone shots are only lasting a couple months.....if that.
now they say i have had to much cortizone & its time for surgery.

when i ride now, its almost all one handed because my left arm goes numb & my hand slides off the grip........i dont know what to do.......my wifey wont even get on any more rides & i guess i dont blame her. i think i only put 100 or so miles on my bike in the last couple years.....what a waste.actually its a 2005 & only has a little over 2100 miles on it with most of them from 05 to 07.

yeah if you have not guessed, most of the pins & problems came from my youthfull ignorance on 2 wheels......some on 4 wheels.

so far i have been holding off on the surgeries......i dont know whats worse, the pain or becoming a drug addict......i did some steroids a couple years ago on my own & that seamed to help or at least i thought so.

i have been riding since about age 8 thanx to my 2 older brothers,i am now 52.

but has anyone had bad shoulders & get them fixed????? how was riding after words????
the pin in my shoulder is from a broken colar bone back when i was about 16 or so & only road track & trail then.
but now its shot,torn rotator cuf & enough slop that it sounds like fire works in my ears when i do anything.....bone to bone.

well ride safe!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to ride 5 weeks after rotator cuff surgery....but that was only 1 shoulder.. and nothing is wrong with my neck. That was a short ride. 3 months before it didn't bother me any more. Lots of Physical therapy....lots

Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Haywired
Road Master

I have a friend who just finished cuff surgery and was riding 5 weeks out. he had some lower back surgery a few years back and seems to handle it well. Good Luck and hope the doc gets you back in riding shape soon.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 AM
TooManyClowns
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Grade III Acromial-Clavicular separation of my left shoulder repaired with an Acromioplasty and a Weaver-Dunn Procedure...I first got back on the bike between 3-4 weeks post-op...but I'll admit that I was a damn fool for doing so! I was lucky not to have hurt someone else, or myself again...but by 8 weeks I was riding the bike to Physical Therapy, and making short (~10-15 mile) rides....
It wasn't fun, and it was a lot of work (PT) but now (a year post-op) I got a pretty good shoulder

Old 06-10-2010, 12:20 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im just back to work after shoulder surgery. I had my operation on Dec 30th & returned to work May 17th. Around 5 months for me with the last 6 weeks doing 4 hours of physio every day. My surgery was a lil more extensive but now that it's done, Im glad because the pain went from a 10 down to a 2!
If you can hold off, wait till late fall & recoup during the winter months!
Hatch.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 AM
RiverWolf
Road Warrior

Double neck fusion 12/24/08, was told that it would cure my shoulder to forearm pain. Both sides.
Well, it didn't.
Was back for short rides in 4 months.
The plate they put in the neck is common everyday stuff. I went home the same day.
Steriods are temp fix for all and for only short time will they work.
Pain pills help but they are also short time or become a monkey.
Doc(s) all now say my shoulders are too shot for surgeries.
Cheer you up?
Best wishes on your outcome!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Paralyzed from the neck down after a bad 4 wheel atv wreck, after drinking. Had 3 discs removed in my neck, and a steel plate and 8 bolts put in back in '02. Then had the surgery repeated a month later. Riding in only a few weeks, no problems, but would advise you to take it slow and easy, at your own pace.

Lower back surgery in '08, riding in 2 weeks. Felt good.

Broke inner bone in my hip in late '08 when tractor turned over on me, rear wheel got me across my hips, felt it pop. Thank God tractor kept rolling away from me. Riding again in 2 weeks.

Pain pills are a part of my life, newer ones out stronger than OC but can't be abused, snorted or shot up, very easily. Pain clinic is my savior, keeps me off of disability.

Be careful, take it easy, but short rides will make you feel better.

Oh yea, even after the 2nd bone fusion, it never fused. Only the steel plate and 8 bolts holds my neck straight. Surgery helped with the pain, but eventually I will be on disability. I don't want to, and am fighting it as long as I can. Do hard construction work and am happy to do it.

RD.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:07 AM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Damn Randy, I thought my bones was messed up, I'm just lookin for some new bars that help me keep my back straight on long rides.

Good job hangin in there...........a true rider!

Old 06-10-2010, 02:11 AM
freakindawgen
6th Gear

Back in '82 went throu a windshield from the back seat,broke my neck with no paralisis.Rode ok for years but throttle hand would go numb starting from the thumb.The crash last sept broke my back and paralized me from the waist down.No more bike or riding for a while.....

Old 06-10-2010, 05:32 AM
cheaponecoat
Intermediate

I had shoulder replacement done three years ago. The hard thing for me was to get my mind around the replacement but now everything is better. I do not baby anything if it brakes fix it. That was how I went at this. In on Fri night out on Sun. morning would have left Sat but there was a ice storm and my wife could not get there. Had no pain meds after Fri night. Did my own rehab the Dr showed me the moves and I did them at home. Was back on the bike the second week. Started out driving the truck then went to the bike. Hope it goes as well for you good luck

Quick Reply: who all has rode after shoulder or neck surgery???