General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Orleans Mid-July

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Orleans Mid-July

We are heading from Oklahoma to New Orleans, LA in the middle of July. We are going to go through Southern Oklahoma to Idabel, to Texarkana, Shreveport then down to New Orleans.
Let us know if there is something, in between, we do not want to mess seeing. Good places to eat, bars, or sightseeing.
In New Orleans we are staying the French Quarter and doing the normal stuff. Are there any good biker bars(not Rawhides) in the french Quarter?

Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Andouille
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should not have any problems around the French Quarter, I do not care to go into the city too much, but I do not know of any places where you have to worry about being too "rawhide" in the French Quarter, NOPD usually keeps a tight reign in the Quarter area.

You should not have any problems with eating once you get into La. Just ask locals when you stop for gas/water. They are usually the best for advice.

A couple words of warning. It will be very hot in July, drink twice as much water as you think you need. Also, when you get on I-49 from Shrevesport to Alexindria (s?) watch your gas closely. There are some long stretches on I-49 in this area between gas stations. Good part most of I-49 has very little traffic.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Tiollib
Novice

It is very humid all the time, which means you will sweat a lot. Drink a lot of water. Have fun but dont wander into the wrong parts of town.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I live in NW Louisiana, Shreveport/Bossier City area, I can't speak for New Orleans having only been there a half a dozen times in the last 27 years. Plenty of great places to eat in the Quarter. Interstate 49 from Shreveport to Lafayette is one boring ride and it is 200 miles from end to end before you turn East on I-10. I am assuming that you want to make good time so I-49 to I-10 is the way too go. I-10 is a major interstate so once you turn East on it you will notice a significant increase in traffic. A more scenic ride also. Once you cross the Mississippi Bridge in Baton Rouge you will remain in the right lane which will move you on I-10 to New Orleans. Enjoy your trip to Louisiana. I just remembered, their is a new 4 lane out of Texarakana to Foulke, Arkansas that will cut down your ride time to Shreveport. Just pick up a map of louisiana and it should show you how to find it.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 06-21-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM
jrcisu79
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best place to drink in the Quarter is Bourbon Street Blues Co. Their beers and drinks are 3for1 all night (as long as you go up stairs) and they have a decent house band. The best place to eat is Oceana is on Conti half a block off Bourbon. If you go to Harvey hit up Perino's for the best seafood. Enjoy yourself NOLA is my fave city on the planet!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Last time for me in Nawleans was pre Katrina, so the info is somewhat dated. Can't give any advice on the way there, but used to "tear Bourbon up" a few years ago.
Here's a few tips for you to consider.
It's gonna be so hot, it's hard to breath! You can cut the air with a knife.
Gotta get a huricane from Pat O'briens with all the other tourist, but be fore warned... Drink one (1), and if ya gotta, split the second!!!!!! Those ain't no joke, and you can ruin your night real quick! Specialy if your sitting. Drink the second and stand up (try) only to find out that your too sauced to even crawl!
Great food everywhere! Hell, ya just can't hardly go wrong. Check with some locals during the day. They got some little lunch spots just off Bourbon that are inexspensive and great.
While partying on Bourbon...
Public drunkeness is tollerated if you mind your manors.
Don't go thinkin you can show your "jewels" for some beads...don't care how hot the chick is twirling beads around her finger. Drop your drawers to show your junk and your face will be planted on the concrete with four Nawleans cops dancing on your back!!!!!
Speaking of the police, Like I said, they will tolerate lots... but if they tell you to do something, do it at once, and as instructed...don't think you can "lip-em." You can't come up with anything they haven't heard a thousand times.
Stay in the crowd, very careful about dark street/alleys with nobody around.

Wonderful city with lots of fine folks. The real coona$$es talk funny.

Best food and most intoxicated I've stayed for three days without gettin sick!!

Good times, Just be careful...

Beav

Old 06-21-2010, 09:32 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys, we are ready for the heat. We went there a few years ago on the way to Florida. Plus, I got to spend a couple of summers at Ft. Polk when I was in the Army. We have a couple of camelbaks we are going to take with us.
Snake what is the best food in the Shreveport area?

Originally Posted by snakeinthegrass
Since I live in NW Louisiana, Shreveport/Bossier City area, I can't speak for New Orleans having only been there a half a dozen times in the last 27 years. Plenty of great places to eat in the Quarter. Interstate 49 from Shreveport to Lafayette is one boring ride and it is 200 miles from end to end before you turn East on I-10. I am assuming that you want to make good time so I-49 to I-10 is the way too go. I-10 is a major interstate so once you turn East on it you will notice a significant increase in traffic. A more scenic ride also. Once you cross the Mississippi Bridge in Baton Rouge you will remain in the right lane which will move you on I-10 to New Orleans. Enjoy your trip to Louisiana. I just remembered, their is a new 4 lane out of Texarakana to Foulke, Arkansas that will cut down your ride time to Shreveport. Just pick up a map of louisiana and it should show you how to find it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM
NOLAMike
Road Master

Y'all should have a blast. Do yourself a favor and take the Red streetcar up Canal Street out of the FQ to Mandina's for awesome classic NO food. You'll be glad you did. I also recommend walking to Port of Call on Esplanade for super burgers and a Monsoon (a concoction that competes with the Hurricane). If you are really into live music there are better places to hear that than in the Quarter. It varies each weekend, but usually Frenchman St is hopping and its an easy walk across Esplanade from The Quarter. You could go there after Port of Call.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

There was a hole in the wall place called Jack dempseys for seafood. Building ain't much but the food is awesome and cheap. Mothers off of Tchopoutoulous (sp) and mulatte's near the convention center used to be good. Acme Oyster Co or Felix's. Hog's breath saloon for the T shirt. If you go upscale, Court of Two Sister's. Of course Pat O's.. Ralph and kakous. cafe du monde for beignets.

Watch your back if visiting the cities of the dead. Lots of folks mugged there. Cops are cool but give them the respect due their position, they don't play around. They've cracked down on nudity so don't.

Enjoy

Bub

Last edited by Steve On 3; 06-21-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go tour the Plantations houses along the river.

Quick Reply: New Orleans Mid-July