General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why not make Dyna motors counterbalanced ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Why not make Dyna motors counterbalanced ?

Perhaps a dumb question ( I have a lot to learn ) but why not run a counterbalanced motor in Dynas ?

Old 08-30-2006, 10:36 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why not make Dyna motors counterbalanced ?

More power and lighter.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:36 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because the Dynas are the strongest running "traditional" HD's left (non-V-Rod). Throw the balancer assy on it & slow it down...???... No!

Besides, if they did that, then they's wanna take the rubber mount away & there would be a whole new line of high-frequency hand/foot numbing machines.

[8D]

Old 08-30-2006, 10:40 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Through the balancer assy on it & slow it down...???... No!
2 horsepower?
Not much of a performance difference at all.
I like the counterweights..

Old 08-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Angry_Inch
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the engine the way it is.

The way it should be.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:00 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I aslo vote no to counter balance , don't like em

Old 08-30-2006, 11:11 PM
midwesttom
Cruiser

Man philm you have not looked at any of the spec sheet on the B motors, Harley says they both have 85 ft Lbs @ 3000 rpm. Doesn't list HP. I would bet the B motors are with in a pound of each other. I would bet a cold pitcher of your choice you could not tell the difference in performance. I here all the time about the mystery foot vibes at 70 so I figure you have to be 70 yrs old to feel them. I would also say there are a lot of B motors out there that would run with you all day if you want. My bis *** needs to strech with the gage hits E. So what your saying is the balanced motor that takes out 90% of the vibration at some mystery speed puts it all back in that is imposible. So if the B motor is vibtating at 70 so is the non-B motor at 70. I have ran my B motor all speeds up to 85 above that and I'm not comfy. that would be a hell of a ticket in my state. I wish they were options on all models. My .02 worth love the B motors. Tom

Old 08-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: midwesttom

Man philm you have not looked at any of the spec sheet on the B motors, Harley says they both have 85 ft Lbs @ 3000 rpm. Doesn't list HP. I would bet the B motors are with in a pound of each other. I would bet a cold pitcher of your choice you could not tell the difference in performance. I here all the time about the mystery foot vibes at 70 so I figure you have to be 70 yrs old to feel them. I would also say there are a lot of B motors out there that would run with you all day if you want. My bis *** needs to strech with the gage hits E. So what your saying is the balanced motor that takes out 90% of the vibration at some mystery speed puts it all back in that is imposible. So if the B motor is vibtating at 70 so is the non-B motor at 70. I have ran my B motor all speeds up to 85 above that and I'm not comfy. that would be a hell of a ticket in my state. I wish they were options on all models. My .02 worth love the B motors. Tom
In checking around the net for info I found these comments:

The Heritage has its strengths and its weaknesses -- mostly strengths in my opinion. A very comfortable bike for round-town cruising or long-distance touring.

Weaknesses: The Twin Cam 88B motor is a counter-balanced version of the TC88 rubber-mounted version used on the touring models. The Counterbalancers do a great job of isolating vibration at "around town" speed. However, at 70+ miles per hour, the counterbalanced motor begins to act as though you have taken it beyond its comfort zone. At 70 mph the motor spins at 3000 rpms (same as the TC88 motor), but it feels and sounds more intrusive to the rider. This is the only weakness.

Strengths: All-around great bike....The counterbalanced motor is more of a strength than a weakness. It is super-smooth at any speed less than 3000 rpms.

http://motorcycles.about.com/library...evbikes205.htm

Old 08-30-2006, 11:52 PM
DMSC
Road Master

I think it's simply a way for H-D to make sure they have all of their bases covered. If they put TC88B motors in everything, they'd loose one of the thinks that make a Harley a "Harley" in some folks minds...they shake like a "Harley"!

Old 08-30-2006, 11:59 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Harley could easily engineer almost 100% of the noise and vibration out of their motorcycles.......but then we wouldn't want them anymore because they would be like Honda's. This is true. Why they made a TC88B is beyond me other than they fit the engine to that specific frame versus adding external dampers. But, I have a customer who makes the fuel injection systen & electronics for HD and the engineers from Germany (the supplier) were baffled when the MoCo engineers told them to design it so it goes "potato,potato,potato". So the vibration in our bikes is actually left in there on purpose.

Quick Reply: Why not make Dyna motors counterbalanced ?