General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New laws in Maine. Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:41 PM
jlandis874
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New laws in Maine. Questions.

I'll be headed to Maine at the end of the month. I've been reading recently about a new law requiring a safety inspection sticker on all motorcycles. I've also been reading that checkpoints are being conducted to check for these stickers and giving tickets for bikes without them. Does this apply to out of state bikes? Ohio doesn't require this so can they enforce it on us when we travel to Maine?

Same goes with the issue with pipes. I know they're are being ******** to all of us about it because a few people can't keep off the throttle. I hear they are giving tickets for any modified exhaust ie: not stock. Anybody know more details? Should I budget for a few tickets for my pipes? They are V&H Bigshots, not excessively loud IMO.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:07 PM
SteveFish
Advanced

Can't comment on your Ohio reg bike here. We are required to have an inspection sticker for our motorcycles here, not applied to it (Yet). As far as the loud exhaust the Maine LEO started enforcing the new revised law July 12th. They can and will ticket for any exhaust louder than stock, $137.00. Some areas are worse than others, Southern Maine is cracking down the worse as well as Waterville. I feel if you just stay off the throttle and don't draw attention to yourself you'll be fine. Good luck and be safe.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 PM
ohiochris
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my good friend has a summer home in york maine, (very big tourist town) i go up for 2 weeks every year usually the first 2 weeks of july, i hear and see lots of loud harleys rolling by the house all the time, never seen any LEO giving them any problems

Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
DeluxeHog05
Cruiser

+ 2 on Waterville I've heard that as well. The displayed inspection stickers won't be enforced until 2012. The crazy thing is they haven't determined what "loud" is. It is up to the discretion of the LEO

Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in ME for a few days and haven't had a problem yet. It is my understanding that they're really looking for those that are being overly obnoxious with their loud pipes.

Here is a summary and a link to some more info:

JULY 2010 LAW CHANGE MAKES IT EASIER FOR POLICE TO STOP AND TICKET LOUD BIKES

Law enforcement officers in Maine gained a new law on July 12, 2010 making it easier to cite loud exhaust system on all vehicles -- cars, trucks, and motorcycles. They will no longer have to prove that a vehicle exhaust was altered with the intent "to amplify" noise. LD 1642 clarifies that the longstanding law banning "excessive or unusual noise" refers to noise that is "noticeably louder than similar vehicles in the environment."

Lt. Brian Scott, head of the Maine State Police Traffic Unit, outlined the law changes -- and reviewed existing laws on motorcycle noise -- in a June 22, 2010 memo to all Maine law enforcement officers, vehicle inspectors and inspection stations.

In a May 2010 meeting with MECALM supporters, Lt. Scott said the changes should make it easier to obtain a conviction for a loud altered exhaust. In the past, a ticket was thrown out when the biker testified that he altered his bike to enhance performance, not "to amplify" sound.

Also at the meeting was the head of the Maine State Police, Col. Patrick Fleming, who briefed local police departments on the changes at the June meeting of the Maine Chiefs of Police Association.

Here's a good article from the Morning Sentinel (6/14/2010) on rollout of enforcement of the change.

Here is the law as amended by LD 1642. New language is in bold.

1. Muffler required. A person may not operate a motor vehicle unless that vehicle is equipped with an adequate muffler properly maintained to prevent excessive or unusual noise. For purposes of this subsection, “excessive or unusual noise” includes motor noise emitted by a motor vehicle that is noticeably louder than similar vehicles in the environment.

Sec. 2. 29-A MRSA §1912, sub-§3, as enacted by PL 1993, c. 683, Pt. A, §2 and affected by Pt. B, §5, is amended to read:

3. Amplification prohibited. A person may not operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system that has been modified <the words "to amplify" are deleted at this point> when the result of that modification is the amplification or increase of <the word "of" replaces "the" at this point> noise emitted by the motor above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle."

http://www.mecalm.org/

Another good article:

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/p...010-06-13.html

Police set sights on loud pipes

By Amy Calder acalder@mainetoday.com
Staff Writer

State and local police plan to crack down on drivers whose vehicles make too much noise, when changes to a state road noise law go into effect July 12.

SOUND CHECK: Cindy Dillon of North Anson rides her motorcycle through Skowhegan. A new law effective July 12 will help enforce laws regulating the loudness of motorcycles. "I do not favor this," Dillon said. I like my pipes and they are not obnoxious."

That means if a motorcycle's exhaust system has been modified so it is louder than when it first was installed, a driver is in violation.

"This applies to all vehicles, so if someone is issued a ticket for operating a motor vehicle with excessive exhaust noise, it's a $137 fine," said Lt. Brian Scott, commander of the state police traffic safety unit.

Waterville police Chief Joseph Massey said police will issue warnings to motorists for the first two weeks the law is in effect, then issue tickets after that.

He said his department receives a lot of complaints from people about motorcyclists revving up their engines downtown, where the noise echoes off buildings. They also tend to rev up engines as they go through underpasses, he said.

"I think that noise pollution created by motorcycles is a very real issue within the city," Massey said. "I think it is a quality-of-life issue ... and I think it's really counterproductive to the efforts to make the city more attractive, particularly in the downtown."

Massey said people in residential areas also should not have to listen to loud motorcycles.

"You can sit in The Concourse sometimes in the evening, and you can hear motorcycles on Kennedy Memorial Drive and Upper Main Street," he said.

Massey said he was at a red light recently, four cars back from a motorcycle at the light, and he could hear the motorcycle as it was idling, but not the engines of the other cars. Motorists and others often are startled by loud exhausts, he said.

"If we allowed cars to do it, it'd be awful downtown," he said. "You'd have to walk around with ear plugs."

Massey said he called District Attorney Evert Fowle to notify him that he would be enforcing the changes to the road noise law and to ask if Fowle would back him on that.

Fowle said Thursday that he absolutely supports Massey in the effort to ticket people whose vehicles create excessive noise that intrudes on others.

"Those people ought to go to court," Fowle said. "It shows very little consideration for others. I told (Massey) that I support him 100 percent, and my office will prosecute every case when there's sufficient evidence."

The current law governing road noise says vehicles must have adequate mufflers that are maintained properly to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Language is being added that says excessive or unusual noise includes motor noise that is noticeably louder than that of similar vehicles in the environment.

The law says an exhaust system may not be modified with the intent to make it louder. The upcoming change leaves out the "intent" part and says the exhaust may not be modified if the result is amplification or noise that is louder than the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.

Lt. Scott of the state police said vehicles registered in Maine are subject to inspection standards, and someone with a modified exhaust system could be cited for operating a defective motor vehicle. The fine could be $137, he said. Vehicles registered in other states are subject to Maine's noise law, but not to the inspection rules, he said.

A motorcyclist who was ticketed for excessive noise took the case to court and won because he proved to the judge under the current law that his intent was not to make his motorcycle louder, but to enhance its performance, according to Scott.

Excessive noise from exhaust systems is a seasonal issue that also is notable in coastal areas, including the U.S. Route 1 corridor, where there is increased traffic near homes and bodies of water.

"It's a significant issue, and I'm glad that steps are being taken to address it," he said.

Scott emphasized that many motorcycle enthusiasts are law-abiding and operate their motorcycles responsibly and respectfully.

Lynne Dailey, treasurer of the Kennebec County Chapter of United Bikers of Maine, said the organization is watchful about the noise issue and has members who attend legislative meetings about such matters.

"We try to have a good reputation with the government and people in the Legislature," Dailey said. "We tell people at our meetings all the time, 'Quiet down. We don't want motorcycles to get a bad name.' Yet there are motorcyclists that do it on purpose."

Dailey said she thinks sometimes people have a negative attitude toward motorcyclists, but she added that many are professional people and many work with children. United Bikers raises a lot of money for charities, she said.

Dailey questions whether police have the time and manpower to enforce the changes in the road-noise law.

Motorcyclist Marc Bizier of Vassalboro said his Harley-Davidson is not modified and that he does not rev up his engine needlessly, but he does not mind hearing loud pipes.

"I really love the sound of the modified pipes to increase the horsepower," he said.

He said sometimes motorcyclists rev their engines to keep them from stalling and to maintain control of their bikes.

He does not approve of changes to the law.

"I think it's ridiculous that they would even think of making ordinances like this," he said. "There are too many people in the Legislature making too much noise already."

As required by law changes, state police are convening a working group to study issues relating to highway traffic noise, including noise created when an exhaust system is altered or not properly installed or maintained.

The group, of which Scott will be chairman, will include state, local and county law enforcement officials; a commercial motor carrier association; officials from the state Department of Transportation and Maine Turnpike Authority; and a neighborhood or neighborhood association affected by highway noise.

The group is to submit a report, including findings and recommendations to the Legislature, by Jan. 15, 2011.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:55 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

keep reading about what Maine is doing to m/c riders. have always wanted to visit the state and spend some kali dollars there, but now I have to wonder if I will.

Sure as hell don't need a ticket, sure as hell don't need a Law Dog breathing down my neck. So I will probably pass unless I feel/think that these folks are not going to target me.

What needs to happen is to have a boycott of all folks who ride. Spend your dollars in states that do not discriminate. Find a person in government in Maine you can send an email to and tell them of the tourist dollars they are losing because of a bull$**** law.

Dunno...maybe they don't care, maybe they want to be isolationists, but you hit in the pocketbook and all of a sudden they actually SEEM to care.

Better yet (maybe)...Law Dog thinks he is gonna stop you for modified exhaust. You are near the border and do not yield and make it across the state line...then what?

Last edited by panz4ever; 08-02-2010 at 09:59 PM.