General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:41 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I was riding about 60 mph and the rain was washing off the outside fine. It was like a mist collecting on the inside that was the problem. If I pushed the glasses tighter to my face then they would fog so then I pull them out and more water got in. I guess goggles with anti fog would be best solution with my half shell helmet.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
SFTL 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I rode about 400 miles in moderate - heavy rain with a 1/2 helmet & Wiley X Climate controlled glasses. Glasses were always fogging up when ever the rain got heavy. Bottom line is that I will not go on a long trip with a potential for rain without wearing either a 3/4 helmet w/shield or a full face helmet. Heavy rain and riding glasses just don't mix.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:02 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a 3/4 helmet with a flip down visor. That seems to work better than anything I've tried so far, it keeps the rain from getting on both sides of my glasses and if I keep my speed up the rain blows off the visor. I also wear a 3/4 helmet so I don't have to listen the the lifter noise, another topic

Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

For I am a scuba instructor I know only a little bit about condensation inside a diving mask. Or my visor. There are two things you can do' Number one is applying a drop of dishwash and spread it in a very thin layer inside the visor. It won't fog anymore form inside. Number two is visiting a scuba shop and pay several dollars for a tiny bottle of chemical stuff with the same effect. Hell I can tell you that it can drizzle here in the lowlands and I have never a fogged visor. Half helmet of system helmet, no problem with both.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:23 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WESeib
I don't know about glasses, I wear a full faced helmet.
Usually, I just turn my head to the side quickly.
It blows the rain off so I can see.
A few minutes later, I do the same thing.
Ditto.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Holly cow... not U can't advertise U bike as never RIDDEN in the rain when U sell her...

Old 08-03-2010, 03:32 PM
rangemaster
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto...some kind of anti-fog on your glasses...

I use a FF helmet, but ride w/the shield up most of the time; when it rains I get out my finger wiper and put it on my gloves...it keeps the shield pretty clear.

Finger wipers are sold now by J&P, Show Chrome p/n 59-105; package of three for $10:
http://www.jpcycles.com/Search/Produ...All&results=10

Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmultra
I have been riding for about 6 years and I have drove in the rain some. This past week was my first big trip and I got caught in some rain on the interstate. My question is how do you all keep your glasses clear enough that you can see? The problem I had was with the water that collected on the inside of my glasses. It got so bad at times I would lose site of the lines on the road. Eventually I saw a walmart and went in and got some rain-x but it really didnt seem to help much. I have an ultra classic with about a 9 inch shield.
I got caught in a pretty bad "summer storm" on my way home from work yesterday. I mean the type of rain that Icould not see 6 inches past my windshield. It was coming down really hard. The inside of my glasses did not get wet. They have the foam around the lens to keep the air out. Apparently they do a decent job of keeping the rain out too.

I was wearing a 1/2 helment which has a little visor and these glasses. It was only about a 20 min downpour, but no water and no fogged lens. I was actually shocked.

Last edited by simpkinst; 08-03-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I expect to be riding in the rain I wear my ff helment without glasses. When I get caught in the rain with my 1/2 shell and glasses I have learned a couple of things, #1 The foam backed glasses fog up badly even with anti fog wipes, #2 you can not apply anti fog wipes while riding at highway speeds in the rain, #3 the most effective thing to do is to lick the fog off the inside of your glasses. the salava seems to slow down the build up of fog on the inside.
Also I try to follow a car or truck with bright tail lights.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I helmet with a full face shield is the answer. Never had an issue in the rain.

Quick Reply: Question about rain?