General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Question about rain?

I have been riding for about 6 years and I have drove in the rain some. This past week was my first big trip and I got caught in some rain on the interstate. My question is how do you all keep your glasses clear enough that you can see? The problem I had was with the water that collected on the inside of my glasses. It got so bad at times I would lose site of the lines on the road. Eventually I saw a walmart and went in and got some rain-x but it really didnt seem to help much. I have an ultra classic with about a 9 inch shield.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my FF helmet. At one point I had to raise the shield. I suppose goggles would work better but pricey if you need a prescription cut into them.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:21 AM
WESeib
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about glasses, I wear a full faced helmet.
Usually, I just turn my head to the side quickly.
It blows the rain off so I can see.
A few minutes later, I do the same thing.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 AM
motorrader
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water actually collected on the inside of your glasses? You must not have been wearing a helmet. If not, try it. Or was it more like fogging up? There are products for anti-fogging.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:29 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

It's a problem not matter what you do. I have not found a good solution yet. I think the best option out there is a ff helmet with anti-fog on the inside of the shield.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't use Rainex on your windshield..it is made for glass not plastic.
Consider googles for the rain.. I use them and carry a clean shop cloth in my lap to wipe my face and googles.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 315 Likes on 181 Posts

I do wipe my glasses with my finger or pull them down so I can look over them. Going a little faster or slower can change the way the water is hitting you. It can be helpful to have another vehicle to follow if you set your distance from them right.
Basically I just put up with it.

BlueNoser
Tourer

I wear a 1/2 visor(shield) when I play Hockey. Most all players rub soap, shampoo, etc onto inside of shield. This cleans it and stops it from fogging up.

Never tried it on my bike glasses though. I use ZOKE on them.

red69camaro
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The military term is prop wash. The idea is the prop is turning fast enough or the air speed is fast enough to blow the rain off the windshield. Thats why planes don't have wipers. The natural reaction to riding in the rain is too slow down. Wrong, crank it down until you can see.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by tmultra
I have been riding for about 6 years and I have drove in the rain some. This past week was my first big trip and I got caught in some rain on the interstate. My question is how do you all keep your glasses clear enough that you can see? The problem I had was with the water that collected on the inside of my glasses. It got so bad at times I would lose site of the lines on the road. Eventually I saw a walmart and went in and got some rain-x but it really didnt seem to help much. I have an ultra classic with about a 9 inch shield.
I usually wind up looking over the top of my glasses. They're the kind with foam around the edges and rain comes in over the top of them. I shake them out at the traffic lights.

Quick Reply: Question about rain?