General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 02:11 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Serious question

Something I have always wondered about...

we've all seen the ads for used bikes where it says "never been dropped, never ridden in the rain". I can sort of understand the 'never been dropped' part, but give me a break... 'never ridden in the rain'? wtf... I wash my cars and my bike just about every week. I ride it in the rain... can someone seriously think it will improve resale value to have a bike that's never seen water? it's a damn motor vehicle fer crissakes.... maybe it's just me, I just don't get it. maybe once this current crop of bikes that were purchased by the yuppie wannabes who just wanted to play dressup get sold to real riders, I'll see this trend happily disappear... I dunno...

rant over... you may now return to your regularly scheduled oil thread.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:18 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL - If I ever put a bike up for sale, I'm gonna have to disclose that it's been ridden in the rain. It's been ridden in the snow. It's been dropped, crashed, and it's had a fair amount of abuse. It's a toy. I play with it.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:28 PM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Granted it's a bike ..... Not just any bike it's a Harley Davidson .... if your out and it rains nothin you can do about it but there are a lot of people maybe your one of them who worked hard to achieve there dream of owning one and are not as you call them wannabes who dont like ridin in the rain and i'm one of them nothin wrong with that ..... Different strokes different folks ....

Old 08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's 'cause you live in MD.

Here in sunny So Cal it don't rain a lot so when it does, I ain't riding.

Not to mention the fact that Californians are total retards when it come to driving in the rain so you're taking your life in your hands if you ride in it.

Then there is the whole cleaning versus riding time thing. I do a lot of other things beside riding so I don't want to spend hours cleaning out muck from every nook and cranny on the bike. I lived in NH for over 30 years and seen what kind of grime can accumulate.

So if you live in an inclement weather climate I can see where someone might want to say "never ridden in rain".

Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by skulltrainharley
Granted it's a bike ..... Not just any bike it's a Harley Davidson .... if your out and it rains nothin you can do about it but there are a lot of people maybe your one of them who worked hard to achieve there dream of owning one and are not as you call them wannabes who dont like ridin in the rain and i'm one of them nothin wrong with that ..... Different strokes different folks ....
Um - I worked hard to get my golf clubs too. They also are toys, just like the bikes. I use them in the rain, just like my bikes. I do not wash them after every round. Hell, Sometimes I don't wash them for a whole season, just like the bikes. They are TOYS. Play with them. Enjoy them. It's kinda fun to be out in the rain when normal folks are inside watching TV. I have even been known to strap the clubs onto the bike and head for the golfcourse when it is raining. Rain means less people on the course and a quicker round. Water don't hurt nuthing!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steveh326
Something I have always wondered about...

we've all seen the ads for used bikes where it says "never been dropped, never ridden in the rain". I can sort of understand the 'never been dropped' part, but give me a break... 'never ridden in the rain'? wtf... I wash my cars and my bike just about every week. I ride it in the rain... can someone seriously think it will improve resale value to have a bike that's never seen water? it's a damn motor vehicle fer crissakes.... maybe it's just me, I just don't get it. maybe once this current crop of bikes that were purchased by the yuppie wannabes who just wanted to play dressup get sold to real riders, I'll see this trend happily disappear... I dunno...

rant over... you may now return to your regularly scheduled oil
thread.
Naw Steve. It just means they live in a desert. Now is synthetic oil really that much better than dino oil??

Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all began in the early 80's....yuppie weekend riders I know the type.....they own a few of the HD logo embaussed shirts and clothes.....they spend more time watching the weather chanel than riding......wannabees they are.......ride hard....ride harley....if you dont get rained on then you anit a real biker...its all to insane....if rain is a factor as to if you ride bi a honda........accord!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:59 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Yepper... most will pay $5,000. for one not ridden in the rain....

Now I just switched to a this new syn oil and I................................................. BAwaaaa

Old 08-03-2010, 03:00 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 315 Likes on 181 Posts

I always interpret the "never been dropped" as I dropped it but you can't prove it. One again these statements are usually about low mileage bikes.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
tubby220
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over here we have to put never ridden in the sun!

Quick Reply: Serious question