General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warranty cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 PM
chipofsc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty cost

How much are dealers asking for extended warranty? My dealer is trying to sell me a three year warranty for 1100,00 bucks. I heard one guy say his dealer cut the price in half trying to get him to buy. I'm buying a used bike and it only has one month left on the two year warranty. The question is should I buy?????

Old 08-06-2010, 10:00 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not for that price.For 1100 I can do a whole lot of fixing.But I do my own work on my bike.Had to learn,can't trust others to do it right.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Serge A. Storms
Road Captain
Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Is it an actual Harley warranty or some outside company? Doesnt sound too bad for 3 years. I paid $900 for 1 year including wheels and tires. If I hit a pothole and it destroys a wheel and tire its covered, have to love coverage for outside influence.

Mine paid for itself last week after having a worn compensator sprocket assembly replaced.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Rajin Cajun
Cruiser

seems a little high, put money aside for repairs.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 PM
wlbowers
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 97 Likes on 40 Posts

It's for major repair piece of mind. Don't let people sway your decision by telling you how much they could do on their bike for $1100. $1100 would not even dent a transmission or engine rebuild.

I bought the 7 year. I paid $1845 for it and never looked back. It's covered by factory warranty till the end of 2014.

As long as you keep the service up, by this I mean really do the service don't just change fluids, and document what you did. Keep a log and receipts. You'll pay $50 and the repair no matter what, is done.

You got $6000 laying around to rebuild an engine? I don't. But I sure as h*ll could come up with $50.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

If you take care of your scoot it should`nt break - I don`t believe in extended warranties - on the other hand if you beat your scoot then it may be worth it.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

If you can do all your own work dont buy it.

I do the basics on my bike , all maintaince, cams , brakes ect but would not be comfortable with electriacal, trans or major engine so for me it is peace of mind.

I bought the extra 5 yr of my 05 so I have 7 years coverage through 2012 it cost me 1100 when I bought the bike. I have about 40000 miles on the bike now and it has had 3 waranty issues taken care of 1 was the ECM and the other was a short for the lights and this week threar pully sheared the bolts and my dealer put it under a warranty repair.

Bottom line I feel a little better protected with it

Old 08-06-2010, 11:26 PM
lazy eye
Cruiser

I just bought my first motorcycle, a used 2008 fat bob. It had no factory warranty left. I got the three year plus tire/wheel coverage for 1300.

If I was experienced riding and working on the bike, I might have skipped it. But like others have said, engine, transmission, and other repairs can get real expensive real fast. I'm fine paying for peace of mind. Besides, the worst that can happen if you buy it is nothing happens to your bike!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:38 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the extended warranty on my bike in 07, paid $1k for it. In June the ecm went south, bike would start but ran like a stoned monkey. I don't know for sure what the total cost of such a repair would have been but I'd bet it would have eaten up much of that $1K. I'm happy I bought it. It is just an insurance policy so to speak, if HD wasn't making money on them they wouldn't offer it. More people that buy them will not need them than do. If I never have another problem I have probably about broken even.

Paul in Colorado

Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

The extended warranty with tire and wheel is worth every penny. I've seen bikes leave our shop with complete engine builds for the 50 deductible. A shift shaft seal leak seems simple but is actually a 3.5 hour job and a common issue.
Having the tire wheel warranty is a no brainer either

Quick Reply: warranty cost