General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOME From Sturgis!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 AM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOME From Sturgis!

Wow... what a trip. Trip up was spread over three days. Trip back was done in two (500 miles and 550 miles). I went with a biking friend... wife stayed behind on account of not being able to put that many miles riding the passenger seat of the Deuce.

Quick impressions:

* For my tastes, there is NOTHING scenic between central Missouri and central South Dakota. Pretty long and boring stretches. However, the experience of riding helped those stretches.

* It was fun seeing all the bikes headed to Sturgis.

* Had a chuckle with a couple of pickups with HD-loaded trailers on the way up.

* The Badlands are pretty incredible.

* The Black Hills are simply FANTASTIC!!! Pictures can't do it justice. Iron Mountain hwy, Needles hwy, et al, MUST be experienced before you can truly appreciate the area.

* Mt. Rushmore is a MUST DO. We arrived early and ate a good breakfast in a very empty (quiet) dining room that had a great view of the Presidents.

* Stugis proper is a mind-blowing spectacle of bikes, bikes, and more bikes. Didn't take me long to have as much of it as I wanted (was there about 1 1/2 hours), but it really is something to see. You can't imagine how many bikes show up.

* Spearfish Canyon is another excellent ride.

* The ride from Keystone to Devils Tower was GREAT! Part of it had a "New Mexico" feel that reminded me of my great HD trip to/from Tucson AZ last year. The Devil's Tower is unique and WELL worth experiencing.

In quick recap, there is so much to see in the Black Hills area that wife and I are talking about taking a vacation up there next year. (I'll trailer up the Deuce). We will avoid Bike Week and just pick a neat place to stay, unload, and do our thing each day aboard the Deuce.

SOOOO...

I was great... but it's GREAT to be home!! (Shame about going back to work tomorrow. )

Old 08-15-2010, 12:08 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you had a good time. Let see some pics.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Sniper318
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rode my RK up there from Dallas, TX. Stayed at the Buffalo Chip. It was the most fun I have had that I can remember. I don't know If I would stay anywhere else. Eat breakfast, go ride or see Sturgis, then come back for ZZtop, Kid Rock, Motley Crew, and Osborn concerts, all included with the camping cost. Wish I could have stayed one more day to hang around the Chip and just chill and watch the bands, contests and festivities that were going on during the day. Like you said, I took many pictures of the hills of Colorado, and the black hills. Pictures didn't do it justice.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:29 PM
byg twyn 55
Cruiser

was last there in 06, had a great time also, plan on going in 11

Old 08-15-2010, 12:31 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My favorite place to stay is near Keystone. There a campground on Iron Mountain Road if you are into camping out. Got cabins too.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:08 PM
citytrucker26
Road Master

If you go any time NOT during sturgis, the prices are about 1/2 of what they are during sturgis. That is what keeps the town in business. My wife is from pine ridge, and all of her family lives out there. Leaving this thurs to help her aunt go thru uncles stuff (he passed in june). Driving up there only b/c I am sure her aunt is going to send us back with some stuff. otherwise I would have taken this up there if uncle guy was still here

Old 08-15-2010, 06:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,997 Likes on 17,503 Posts

Originally Posted by LAMing

* For my tastes, there is NOTHING scenic between central Missouri and central South Dakota.

I truly believe that part of the country is why they invented antidepressants . A few interesting ( and I use that term loosely ) places in south central Nebraska and god bless bored to death women in small towns is about all I can say about that .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-24-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:35 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Back home safe and sound is good for any trip in my book... sounds like a good time was had and yup agree there is a lot of pretty country out there that you just have to ride to enjoy it! Glad you had a good one!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:01 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i hope your deuce is your wifes,

Old 08-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LAMing
* For my tastes, there is NOTHING scenic between central Missouri and central South Dakota. Pretty long and boring stretches. However, the experience of riding helped those stretches.
I grew up in central SD. There's a woman behind every tree.

Never done Sturgis on a bike, someday I will. I took my wife in the Jeep back in 1997, it was her first trip to the States, she couldn't get enough of the Hills.

Good to hear you enjoyed it. If you go when it's a little slower, you'll really appreciate the Hills with much less traffic.

Quick Reply: HOME From Sturgis!