General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New breed of bikers????

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 PM
C O L E M A N F U
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 08-17-2010, 07:28 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like it more about drawing attention to yourself.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm turning 50 and hot rodding a sporty, and you can kiss my ***.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Johnny_Ringo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bikes
Seems like it more about drawing attention to yourself.
fun is more the driving force. some ego, sure, but most of the peacocks hang at the dealerships and mainstream rallys.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny_Ringo
this might help understand the scene a bit.: http://www.bikereader.org/whatitlook...hatitdont.html

a lot of us grew up on skateboards/snowboards/bmx. most like metal and punk and gangster rap. the scene has a lot of different bikes and different periods. i ride a new street bob (don't have time to wrench) and im as welcome as the dude on his raked out shovel. dudes are real in this scene. dudes are respectful. and the rides are a blast.
really? that article seemed to imply that if they aren't "like them" they're "zip co chodes" or "much-macho overcompensating types"... how about just being a guy who rides a motorcycle because he likes it without trying to fit any mold at all other than what he is?

so to you these guys taking brand new bikes and modding them with kick-starts (from kits that cost thousands), removing the front brake, putting on rusted parts to make thier brand new 11K bike seem like an old rat rod they constructed are "the real deal" huh?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:42 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

cool bikes.

been planning a garage build along those lines for a while now.

no money no space and no time though.

gotta ride my "uncool factory bike"

Old 08-17-2010, 07:48 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toastman
Oh..stop that! You know your bike is cool! I like it, the next poster likes it...we all like it. You should be proud of your bike! I know you've done a lot to it...more than I've done to mine.

Be proud, it is still uniquely your own. We are all in different stages of mods, and going in different directions. As is, I think you have one sweet ride. One I would be more than happy to be riding if I were you.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Johnny_Ringo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by babalu
really? that article seemed to imply that if they aren't "like them" they're "zip co chodes" or "much-macho overcompensating types"... how about just being a guy who rides a motorcycle because he likes it without trying to fit any mold at all other than what he is?

so to you these guys taking brand new bikes and modding them with kick-starts (from kits that cost thousands), removing the front brake, putting on rusted parts to make thier brand new 11K bike seem like an old rat rod they constructed are "the real deal" huh?
i didnt get that at all from the article. but its pretty much what you see at the dealership. i found it to be accurate with my experience there and the people who seem to hang around now.

most guys like me with new bikes mod the fenders/lights/struts, things like that. im not trying to make it looks like my dads old superglide. i happen to like a lot of the merging roland sands does with street/sport bikes. my buddy is period correct in everything. yet we still are considered part of the same scene.

the guys with kick starts have usually built their bikes from the ground up from a craigslist pan or shovel find. ive never seen someone add a kick to a new sporty. if i did, i would probably not understand, same as you. and most of these guys dont have money, which is why some of the bikes are ugly as hell, because its basically a scrap heap weld up.

the scene isnt as prohibitive as you seem to think it is. ive seen runs with chopped yamahas, harleys, triumphs, etc. its about loving bikes. working on your own bikes. having fun.

Last edited by Johnny_Ringo; 08-17-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Johnny_Ringo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by toastman
cool bikes.

been planning a garage build along those lines for a while now.

no money no space and no time though.

most of the brokeass skater kids would drool over your "uncool" bike.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM
RKDavid
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 23 Posts

Nope, I ain't seen anything like that up here in Minnesota.

Quick Reply: New breed of bikers????