General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Rider's Edge Class got cancelled! WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:50 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by El Rey
Maybe I'm wrong, but MSF is state funded, our tax dollars at work. I don't think Rider's Edge is.
FWIW, while MSF is a National organization, each state is pretty much on their own when it comes to training its instructors and governing each school.

In Texas, MSF isn't state funded...nor is it in many states (can't speak for all). There may be some concessions on course materials and such, but I'm not aware of Texas supplementing or funding the schools...if that was the case, they'd be supplementing Rider's Edge as well as it is born out of MSF. Someone here may know more about this than I do though. As a matter of fact, when you go to the MSF website...they list Rider's Edge schools in the list of locations to take their courses.

While the "state" governs and oversees each school and it's instructors, MSF schools in Texas are privately owned. They apply and register with the state and must meet and continue to meet the states requirements. I've had dealings with a couple of MSF schools and both owners are in it with the hopes of turning a profit & making a living. Trust me, it's not a terribly lucrative career choice for the sponsors (school owners) or the coaches. More something these people do for the "love of it". So, as you can imagine, in this economy, any help from the state has dwindled in the wake of budget cuts.

To become a Rider's Edge Instructor, one must first attend and pass the MSF Rider Coach program. Therefore, all Riders Edge Instructors are trained MSF Instructors, but all MSF Instructors are not trained to teach Rider's Edge. Basically what I'm trying to communicate here is that Rider's Edge is not independent of MSF...it's a form of it. Think of it as MSF with a Harley twist.

Both programs use the same Textbook, exercises, range cards, etc and as far as what the student is learning as it directly pertains to riding, they're the same. Instructors are taught to follow the curriculum to the letter without omissions, additions or improvisation. Doing otherwise could lead to losing their certification.

Assuming the school sponsor is not cutting corners financially, thus sacrificing quality at the expense of the students, the only real difference in a students experience should be each individual Instructor & what he or she brings to the table. Having taken both MSF and RE courses - both are excellent and have their merits. My personal opinion is that negative experiences are more the exception rather than the rule and have more to do with either the Instructor/Coach or the individual student's attitude/ability/receptivity rather than the Program as a whole.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As usual,well said Monstead.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:07 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
FWIW, while MSF is a National organization, each state is pretty much on their own when it comes to training its instructors and governing each school.

In Texas, MSF isn't state funded...nor is it in many states (can't speak for all). There may be some concessions on course materials and such, but I'm not aware of Texas supplementing or funding the schools...if that was the case, they'd be supplementing Rider's Edge as well as it is born out of MSF. Someone here may know more about this than I do though. As a matter of fact, when you go to the MSF website...they list Rider's Edge schools in the list of locations to take their courses.

While the "state" governs and oversees each school and it's instructors, MSF schools in Texas are privately owned. They apply and register with the state and must meet and continue to meet the states requirements. I've had dealings with a couple of MSF schools and both owners are in it with the hopes of turning a profit & making a living. Trust me, it's not a terribly lucrative career choice for the sponsors (school owners) or the coaches. More something these people do for the "love of it". So, as you can imagine, in this economy, any help from the state has dwindled in the wake of budget cuts.

To become a Rider's Edge Instructor, one must first attend and pass the MSF Rider Coach program. Therefore, all Riders Edge Instructors are trained MSF Instructors, but all MSF Instructors are not trained to teach Rider's Edge. Basically what I'm trying to communicate here is that Rider's Edge is not independent of MSF...it's a form of it. Think of it as MSF with a Harley twist.

Both programs use the same Textbook, exercises, range cards, etc and as far as what the student is learning as it directly pertains to riding, they're the same. Instructors are taught to follow the curriculum to the letter without omissions, additions or improvisation. Doing otherwise could lead to losing their certification.

Assuming the school sponsor is not cutting corners financially, thus sacrificing quality at the expense of the students, the only real difference in a students experience should be each individual Instructor & what he or she brings to the table. Having taken both MSF and RE courses - both are excellent and have their merits. My personal opinion is that negative experiences are more the exception rather than the rule and have more to do with either the Instructor/Coach or the individual student's attitude/ability/receptivity rather than the Program as a whole.
I took riders edge from a dealer and we used same range as the MSF class at the community college. Plus my instructors as many do teach both. That said I was glad I took riders edge. 1. They knew which bike I just bought and taught me things about my bike. 2 I liked the extra harley info. 3. I got to know staff at the dealer which has been helpful.
Best thing I did was take that class. No way I would have put 12k miles on my bike in 8 months without it.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:58 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not knocking Rider's Edge or it's instructors. Just saying I'd rather support MSF. While Rider's edge may be all that you say and more, I don't like the tie in with the dealerships, again, my opinion...and we all know that one...

Old 08-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I already paid for the class....I just wish they'd would have it the following weekend to make up for it. I told the girl I was all set to buy the bike as soon as I got the license and she just said...."thats unfortunate....I'm sorry, I can't put you in the September 16th-19th class if you'd like since you already paid". At that point I just said fine....

Part of me just wants to buy the friggin thing and just get the license in September....they are giving me a smokin deal. Then the other part says wait (which I don't want to because I waited a month to get in the class that was cancelled) then get the license....test ride the Deluxe and the Lo and see which one I like better.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked Harley's website and it says its still open. I called them and they said its cancelled and that they are having a big open house this Sunday....hmmmmmm. Open house....or Rider's Edge.....

Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 PM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude- If you want the bike you probably have at least some idea of "how to ride". If you want it-- go get it! If needed get a buddy or two maybe someone on the forum lives near you and take it to a parking lot and get the feel of it. I think if you want it go buy the damn thing and get to ridin!! You can learn as you go just take yer time and enjoy! Jus my 2 cents.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 PM
whodares
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken both an MSF basic rider course and the riders edge basic rider course. Even 5 years apart, they were identical in subject matter and on-bike exercises. The only difference was we used a hodge-podge of Japanese bikes in the msf course vs identical buells in the riders edge course.

One big advantage to the Harley course was the 15% discount on anything in the shop if I show my course card. Nice benefit.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Grinder1200
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same day I got my motorcycle license (after Riders Edge) I went to the dealer and asked to test ride some bikes. They asked how long I had my license. I said about an hour and a half. Trying not to laugh, the guy said if you have not had your license for a year, you are beat. I got my test ride on the way home after I bought the thing.

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
I already paid for the class....I just wish they'd would have it the following weekend to make up for it. I told the girl I was all set to buy the bike as soon as I got the license and she just said...."thats unfortunate....I'm sorry, I can't put you in the September 16th-19th class if you'd like since you already paid". At that point I just said fine....

Part of me just wants to buy the friggin thing and just get the license in September....they are giving me a smokin deal. Then the other part says wait (which I don't want to because I waited a month to get in the class that was cancelled) then get the license....test ride the Deluxe and the Lo and see which one I like better.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:53 PM
HOG_0308
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my dealership paied for my MSF class when i bought the bike.

Quick Reply: My Rider's Edge Class got cancelled! WTF!