General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D employee "let go" after being in bike accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:18 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He was probationary in an at will state. They need NO reason to let him go. Actually in an at will state any employer can let any employee go at any time with no reason given whatsoever. The only job protection you have in an at will state is if you happen to be working under a contract agreement.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sucks your buddy is out of a job. This is not some great injustice, ground breaking news story though.

We know why you posted it ... because you feel an injustice was done and you said in your email to the dealership you were going to cross post the story. In hopes others would follow suit. Thats all. Which is fine. However, I don't see the issue.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:50 AM
italian biker
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Being that this is one of those "Company doesn't care about its employees" rants. Let me point out there is probably not one working adult in this country(including myself) that would not leave the company they're at now for better money, benefits, shorter drive, etc.....And there is nothing wrong with it, that's the American way to find better oppurtunity, but it's hypocritical to for people, who would jump ship in an instant given the chance, but yet complain that their company doesn't care about their employees.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have teeth marks on my butt from the last time I made a judgment knowing only half the story. I would need to know the dealers side of this before even *beginning* to make a call.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I would have been to work on crutches or what ever it took.Sounds like he is bucking for a healthy law suit.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 316 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick1200
I didn't post this to get a "he should sue the dealer" response. I understand that he was on a probationary status, it just seems silly that a bike shop would "let go" a biker from not being able to return to work as of yet because he got hit while riding his bike.

piasspj- That's a pretty silly thing what you just posted. A whiner? Dude, you can't go back to work when the doc says no when you expect insurance to pay for your ****.
Insurance pays even if you don't follow the Drs advice. Also if you tell the Dr you feel well enough to go to work, he won't bother writing the note.

Drs will keep you coming back as many times as they can, (they make more $$$ that way). Say you feel sore, they'll write you a note, no skin off their nose if you don't go to work. They'll give you a prescription for pain meds (make more $$ that way). Say your traumatized and the sight of a motorcycle causes you flashbacks and severe pain, they'll refer you to their buddy the therapist (who will write you a note saying you can't go to work) and keep you coming back as many times as they can.
Go to a chiropractor for back pain, they'll keep treating you as many times as you go in, and will write a note saying you can't go to work).
Sorry dude, its life, not grade school. A note from your mommy doesn't cut it.

Now if was in intensive care or he had tried going to work (maybe working half days or taking frequent breaks). Then the boss may have understood he was making the effort. Go into work looking like he was messed up from a motorcycle accident and I'm guessing they'd send him home or keep you in the back room.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Would he be covered under the Family Medical Leave Act or no? If so they would have to hold a job for him but not necessarily the one he had, It might be janitor or motorclothes or..... Don't know if that would apply or not. AS others have said, being an at will state, tehy can fire him becasue he combed his hair the wrong way.

Good luck to him

Bubba

Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Where I work, either the employer or the employee can terminate the relationship at any time - no questions asked. It's in the document you sign when you start.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:01 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think the dealership did anything wrong. When I started my new job, I too had to go through a probationary period, and it was stated that if I missed one day, I might as well continue to take days off.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not knowing the guy or the situation there's probably more to the story. Businesses will usually "work with" a valuable employee. It says he's a "service advisor"?? Seems to me if He is able to sit at his own computer and post **** on the internet he could also sit at his computer AT WORK and write up customers. just sayin'

Quick Reply: H-D employee "let go" after being in bike accident