General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Slip Ons & Quiet baffles

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:53 PM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a used set of the V&H slip-ons that came with the quite baffle installed and the original baffle in a separate box. I've never tried the original baffle because I love the sound of the quite so much. While I prefer the look of the Big Shot Staggerd they are not in the budget so I will keep the slip-ons for awhile and just enjoy the sound. WAY louder than stock but not nearly as obnoxious as drag pipes.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had Short Shots and Big Shots on my '06 Dyna. I had regular "baffles" in the Short Shots, then switched to the Quiet Baffles. There was a difference, but it was minimal. The Quiet Baffles are still quite loud (much louder than stock). I have the regular baffles in the Big Shots, and yes, it is loud. I like it that way. But sometimes (ie, when puttin' through some small town, or going out early on Sunday), I wish it was quieter. To quieten it, I would not go with the V&H Quiet Baffles. That's not quiet. That's just a wee bit less loud.

Just my experience.

Mark

Old 08-26-2010, 08:22 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,229 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
To quieten it, I would not go with the V&H Quiet Baffles. That's not quiet. That's just a wee bit less loud.

Just my experience.

Mark
and while that is correct, i think the quiet baffles change the tone enough to make the pipes sound less harsh. deepens the tone a bit. even if it doesn't quiet the pipes that much, just for the tone they are worth it.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Excellent commentaries. Thanks much all!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:15 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hmm... you guys have me second guessing my upcoming purchase.

will the quiet baffles help to **** off the neighbors less (as compared to the regular V&H "ribbed" baffles)? if not, theres really no point in me installing them.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by osirisdean
hmm... you guys have me second guessing my upcoming purchase.

will the quiet baffles help to **** off the neighbors less (as compared to the regular V&H "ribbed" baffles)? if not, theres really no point in me installing them.
yes, they will **** off the neighbors less. but you are gonna have to make some effort on your part. keep the rpms down and short shift while you are in the neighborhood. wait until you get out of the area before you wring it out.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:16 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
yes, they will **** off the neighbors less. but you are gonna have to make some effort on your part. keep the rpms down and short shift while you are in the neighborhood. wait until you get out of the area before you wring it out.
oh, i do that by default already, ill never be the douche that revs out at 6am. im just hoping the actual noise with the baffles will be quieter.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:39 AM
.357 Magnum
Tourer

I just installed my new fishtails a few days ago, with the V&H quiet baffles. (I never so much as held them up to the bike until the stock baffles were replaced.) They are not any quieter than the Rineharts they replaced, so my objective of making my bike suitable for "midnight milkshake runs without waking up the neighbors" was not met.

Fortunately, the V&H fishtails have one feature the Rineharts lacked: they do indeed have replaceable baffles! So I've just ordered the SmartPartz Hard Kore Baffles to work in conjunction with the V&H quiet baffles. I hope that does the trick.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:15 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
Fortunately, the V&H fishtails have one feature the Rineharts lacked: they do indeed have replaceable baffles! So I've just ordered the SmartPartz Hard Kore Baffles to work in conjunction with the V&H quiet baffles. I hope that does the trick.
i tried those. i didn't care for them. but i can attest that they do stand behind their 30 day return policy. i put mine on before a long road trip, 5 days later took them off and sent them back. hope you have better luck than i did.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:19 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer

Skratch, what did you dislike about them? Sound, loss of power, poorer fuel economy?

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Slip Ons & Quiet baffles