General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Slip Ons & Quiet baffles

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Vance & Hines Slip Ons & Quiet baffles

Yes, it has (of course) been discussed before, but I am looking for opinions from those who have used these in the somewhat recent past. This will be added to the stock FatBoy exhaust system. Feedback on not only the slip ons quality of manufacture and sound, but those of the quiet baffles as well.

I understand that the straight shot slip ons have baffles already that must be removed to insert the quiet baffles. Is this true? Is it difficult?

Thanks folks!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

re: baffles

i keep pushing it off, but in the near future i plan on installing quiet baffles in my short shots. i took a peek inside my pipes and didnt see any obstructive baffling, but the sides of the pipes have this... ribbing? i couldnt tell if it was removable or not, though. from everything i have read, it should be as easy as unscrewing a retaining bolt, putting in the baffles, and screwing the bolt back in. (since the side shots have heat covers, ill have to remove those also, but im guessing that isnt terribly complicated.)

if you get to yours before i get to mine, post up and lemme know how it goes. ill do the same. (hoping to order them next week, but stuff that takes priority keeps coming up.)

Old 08-26-2010, 08:13 AM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the V&H slip on`s - installed myself - easy job.
Quality - fit and finish is excellent.
Customer service is great.
I did`nt buy the quiet baffles and they are way too loud and will order this winter - when I asked about the install of the quiet baffles I was told there is a screw at the rear end of the pipe - unscrew this to remove the loud baffles and then install the quiets and tighten the screw - based on my install of the pipes this will take about 15 minutes and will be an easy job. The pipes do not need to be removed to do this.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 AM
hashadenough
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm ordering the Quiet baffles this week for the V&H BSS. I already took out one of the original baffles (put it right back in) , just to see if it would be a PITA. Like you all said, just one screw and some tuggin'

Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

i have the full straight shots on my st bob - the stock baffles (standard) are an open pipe insert piece with the 'baffles' stamped into the sides (that's the ribbing someone else described above). The 'quiet' baffles are not just an open pipe, theres a solid disk at one end that diverts the exhaust through that ribbing and the fiberglass material. Depending on whether or not the heatshields cover the screw, changing the baffles could take about 2 minutes (if the screw is accessible without removing the shields) or maybe 15 minutes to loosen the heat shields (what I'd need to do on my full system)

I never ran the stock baffles - put the quiet ones in before installing the pipes, and they are not quiet at all

Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM
falsealarm
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default quiet baffles

ditto on the not quiet at all..........My v/h straight shots and quiet baffles sound great

Old 08-26-2010, 09:21 AM
shiftharder
Road Master

Originally Posted by VsTheWorld
(if the screw is accessible without removing the shields) or maybe 15 minutes to loosen the heat shields (what I'd need to do on my full system)
The heat shields DO have to be removed to access the screws so 15 min is more like it.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Thank you all for such valuable information. Actually, I was looking for a set up that is louder than stock but not really loud. I like a pipe that is relatively quiet at idle and low RPM but "opens up" from midrange on up. Does that describe these pipes with the quiet baffles? Are they really very much louder than stock?

Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a friend who just put them on his heritage with the quiet baffles and it sounds great. Not to loud but not that quiet either, just right.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:06 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Thank you all for such valuable information. Actually, I was looking for a set up that is louder than stock but not really loud. I like a pipe that is relatively quiet at idle and low RPM but "opens up" from midrange on up. Does that describe these pipes with the quiet baffles? Are they really very much louder than stock?
this is subjective of course - but to me the quiet baffles are lots louder than stock (whisper vs. yelling)

at idle it's a nice "harley" sound - and if you shift low in the rpms you can keep it reasonable (ie; not drawing unwanted attention...hopefully), but if you really wind it out it's pretty obnoxious imo

if i could fine tune the sound i'd choose them to be someplace between stock and what they are now - but I love the clean look of the full pipes and one piece heatshields, and have gotten into the regular practice of keeping the volume low in residential areas.

i 'think' you'll be happy with these pipes - but if you have the time go to a dealer on the weekend and see if anyone shows up with a setup similar to what you are considering then ask to hear them in real life. Youtube clips just don't do it justice

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Slip Ons & Quiet baffles