General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY BIKE STINKS!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:01 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The stink can only be in soft surfaces not the hard ones, I would get some Simple Green and spray the whole bike down and pressure wash it off and park it in the sun for a few days...it will dissipate over time

Last edited by 2kids3pets; 08-27-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:02 AM
shiftharder
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way it`s on the metal - gotta be the seat or bags - at any rate I can`t see there being enough sq footage on a bag and seats to smell up a 2 1/2 car garage.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:11 AM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

After washing apply fresh leather conditioner and leave in sun for a day or two

Old 08-27-2010, 08:17 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Had a similar problem when we bought my wifes bike. The smell was in the foam of the seat. We used frebreeze and 80 mph for 200 miles and that cut it down a lot.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Ex-smokers have THE most sensitive sense of smell. I just can't believe a bike has absorbed cigarette smoke. Metal isn't porous. If it was, you'd have gas, oil, tranny, and primary fluid all over the place, all the time.

I wonder if the product they used to detail the bike isn't causing a cigarette smoke-like stench. Have you tried contacting whomever you got the bike from about where it was detailed? Knowing that may help in getting rid of it.

Or, there is a dead mouse caught somewhere that you can't see and it's cooking. Should be about well done by now.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:21 AM
SoALposer
Tourer

You said that the bike was detailed just before you got it, call the people that did the detail, and find out what they used, it may not have been for use on hot surfaces and may be emitting a smell when heated. Also, if I am not mistaken, some cast materials are porus and will absorb things and thus may cook off when heated. Hopefully if nothing else, it may burn away after a while.

Air freshner and a ventalation fan for your garage as a last resort.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 AM
paulhog
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
The stink can only be in soft surfaces not the hard ones, I would get some Simple Green and spray the whole bike down and pressure wash it off and park it in the sun for a few days...it will dissipate over time
+1 on the simple green. Also, give the inside of that windshield some extra attention.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Other than time I am not sure how you get the smell out of a bike. I would wash it repeatedly with water. (maybe they did a dry detail?)

A few years ago my father sent me a heavy leather jacket he had won in a raffle. My folks live in Fla. so after about 6 months my father realized he didn't need it and sent the jacket to me. Did I mention that both my folks smoke in the house? To this day the jacket is sitting on a hanger in my garage. When it first arrived the jacket made the entire garage stink. Now you have to stick your nose in the jacket to smell the smoke. Hopefully in another year or so I can actuall wear it!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:51 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Other than time I am not sure how you get the smell out of a bike. I would wash it repeatedly with water. (maybe they did a dry detail?)

A few years ago my father sent me a heavy leather jacket he had won in a raffle. My folks live in Fla. so after about 6 months my father realized he didn't need it and sent the jacket to me. Did I mention that both my folks smoke in the house? To this day the jacket is sitting on a hanger in my garage. When it first arrived the jacket made the entire garage stink. Now you have to stick your nose in the jacket to smell the smoke. Hopefully in another year or so I can actuall wear it!
Couldn't you being the jacket to a leather cleaner? I'm sure they can get the smoke smell out of it for a small fee.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:51 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

What?

Good start man .... welcome to the jungle

Quick Reply: MY BIKE STINKS!!! Help