General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you need HEATED storage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 AM
FatJohn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do you need HEATED storage?

I stored my old bike in my weatherproof shed. It's dry and has electric for the battery tender. I left a full tank of gas with fuel stabilizer, covered the bike, changed the oil in the spring... It seemed to be fine.

My new bike is a little more of an investment. The storage places around here in New England make a big deal about offering HEATED storage. Is there really an advantage?

Last edited by FatJohn; 08-31-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

definitely an advantage you won't have all the condensation issues that you will get in a non-heated garage or shed if you're in a cold area like NE.

i just get out and wipe it down, make sure it doesn't sit around wet for any length of time.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't need a heated garage, I've stored mine in an unheated garage for years and no problems. Just make sure if you cover it that the cover breathes and doesn't trap moisture. I use two bed sheets and works like a charm. I also use a battery tender.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:41 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Besides it not being cold? No. If they have a dry heat, yeah, there is less moisture. Doesn't matter though. The bike was made to be able to get wet. Winter storage in no way equals submerged in salt water

Do what you have been doing. You'll be fine. Mine gets put on the lift for the winter in an unheated garage with full tank, stabil, battery tender and an old bed sheet.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heated storage is nice but not necessary. I yank the battery and put it on a tender indoors. I put some Seafoam in the tank and lock her up in the unheated garage. Never had an issue.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 AM
JerryL....
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMas
Heated storage is nice but not necessary. I yank the battery and put it on a tender indoors. I put some Seafoam in the tank and lock her up in the unheated garage. Never had an issue.
Why not leave the battery in, and put the tender on it? It's the same thing. My batteries have never been out of my bike, unless it's time for a new one. I got 7 years on the last change.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:04 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I've never had heated storage. I have stored bikes uncovered in a garage, no battery tender, no stabil.
The battery tenders work to extend the life of the batteries (no tender I'd get 2 seasons maybe out of a battery).
I've never had problems when I've used stabil, no stabil = rough running in spring and more often than not carb cleaning.
Uncovered = dusty bike in spring (a Bedsheet will fix that but you will probably wash the bike anyway).

The only issue with a cold bike is condensation. If uncovered it just evaporates. Boaters use a "goldenrod" to keep moisture down, some guys place a small light (40 watt) under the cover to keep the bike dry.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 PM
inaroush
Road Captain

I bought a motorcycle capule which infates and the air changes through a small muffin fan 3x per hour. I will attach a battery tender and all should be great.

Full Tank w/Stabilizer... I will also get a damp rid (removes dampness from the air to put in the capsule as well.... Probably not necessary but a little extra never hurt

Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My garage is not heated and sometimes feels colder than outside LOL! I keep my bikes in it all winter under a thin cover and never have an issue at all. heated is nice, but not a must have by any means. Now if I were working on the bikes all winter long the yes heat is a must.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
red69camaro
Tourer

The main thing with a bike or a car in a cold climate is to put plastic down. A lot of the condensation is from the concrete. Then I loosely put plastic over it, mostly to keep the dust off. In a cold climate, the metal is going to freeze and then condensate when it thaws. I wouldn't use anything made out of cloth that would hold the moisture.

Quick Reply: Do you need HEATED storage?