General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BREAKING: MOCO drops and/or freezes new bike prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by k&j eglide
Just a thought, but I bet the average tour bike doesn't require more than 10 hours total labor to produce. Moving production to Kentucky and paying $12 an hour would therefore drop the cost about $200. Now instead of $22,000 OTD, they'll be $21,800. Realize too that $12 an hour jobs don't pay taxes or buy H-D motorcycles.
I am not getting into the union/nonumion arguement - just pointing out you have a poor undrstanding of business and what an employee costs a company. You have to
look at EVERYTHING....paid time off, pension, 401K match, medical, dental, unemployement taxes, etc, etc, etc.

My benifits add up to over 20K a year cost to the company that I do not see in my paycheck.

You cannot just go by hourly rate.

You also cannot jsut figure the total cost of the folks on the assemply line. Theres the people in shipping/receiving/secretaries/supervisores/ maintenence/electricians/etc.

Last edited by simpkinst; 09-03-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My brand new 09 FLHTCU here in Aussie with ABS/Cruise/Security cost me the equivalent of $27,857 USD.

And I got a hell of a deal-- no joke-- Happy to pay it!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:50 PM
jagatei
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
Went to a local dealer and looked at a left over 2010. Salesman said they would make me a great deal as they are trying to move the 10's. Came back with their "offer" and I said there had to be a mistake as the price was far to high. Manager came out and said no mistake, they added $5,000.00 to MSRP because Harleys are so popular. Went to another dealer and asked if they had any deals. Went through salesman, manager and finally got to the owner. He said they wouldn't "denigrate" the Harley name be offering discounts. Until the attitude of the dealers and/or Harley itself changes their sales are going to continue to plummet. They are down to barely selling 200,000 bikes in 2010. That's a huge drop from two years ago. I'm an impulse buyer and would bought if they had made any kind of reasonable offer. MSRP+ plus freight, plus dealer setup, plus all that other crap they add-on ain't a good deal in this day and age.
Had a similar experience. I was buying a new bike in the middle of 09, and they still had a couple of 07's on the floor. The salesman said they were willing to make a hell of a deal on a wide glide (lots of chrome and accessories on it already) they had. He showed me the numbers and I had to laugh, it was way above MSRP. Instead of lowering the price, they just keep adding more chrome and discounting the the accessories 50%. The price of the bike keeps going up, they just keep calling it a better deal. After I declined and took another bike with no crap added for MSRP, the salesman told me they will not go under MSRP for any reason.

I was there last month getting the oil changed and that wide glide was still on the floor. A three year old new bike with gobs of chrome and Willie G approved accessories on it, for 6 grand over MSRP.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lot of broke people out there.

Not sure discounting will draw in enough buyers right now. Would draw in some of course, but if you ain't got toy money,.....

18 thou ain't a lot different from 21 thou, if you are broke.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:08 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts
Default H-D

KInda odd how a Harley sold outside the U.S. gets Taxed all to HELL and therefore not a lot are sold!
But bring anything you want into the U.S. and sell it NO EXTRA TAX OR TARIFFS!

All this about how long it takes to put a Harley together you guys got screwed!
MINE CAME ALREADY ASSEMBLED WITH BATTERY INCLUDED