General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BREAKING: MOCO drops and/or freezes new bike prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BREAKING: MOCO drops and/or freezes new bike prices

I got up early to look at European stock movement and ran across this news from UK:

US motorcycle legend Harley-Davidson has announced a round of price cuts and freezes on models for the new year as part of the firm's drive to be "affordable".

I wonder if we'll see similar news stories later here in our USA?

Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Instead of taking "afforable" to the point of losing quality, they need to (a) move manufacturing to a non-union state, (b) get rid of most of the crap in the dealerships - they know the numbers better than me, but around here I see nobody buying or wearing "motorclothes" other than dealership T-shirts.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Art08fatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
Instead of taking "afforable" to the point of losing quality, they need to (a) move manufacturing to a non-union state, (b) get rid of most of the crap in the dealerships - they know the numbers better than me, but around here I see nobody buying or wearing "motorclothes" other than dealership T-shirts.
What a bunch of crap

Old 09-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They can make the bike where ever they want, but they still can't sell them if the public don't have toy money.

I bet RV's ain't selling either.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

RV's aren't selling real good, we've been looking for a toy hauler that we can put a car in also. Basically a car hauler with living quarters. Anyway when you go to a lot, their offering all kinds of stuff, with really good prices.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:34 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
They can make the bike where ever they want, but they still can't sell them if the public don't have toy money.

I bet RV's ain't selling either.
Yes, but if other motorcycle manufacturers are selling bikes that cost less and have better QUALITY then like Breen said then the MoCo needs to do something to get their sales UP not down like they have been for several quarters....And did you notice in the article that the 103" is STANDARD...That ain't happening here in the US, it's an OPTION!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:35 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Art08fatboy
What a bunch of crap
So? You speak English, so you must have a reason, right? Instead of posting up something meaningless, explain it. Right now I can only assume its a lack of understanding if basic economics.

Last edited by brenn; 09-02-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM
rentalguy1
Banned

Won't make a difference, IMHO. Most don't have toy money, and those that do won't spend it. The news reports that banks won't lend money, but the banks report nobody is applying for loans. All I know for sure is that the bike, boat and RV markets are at rock bottom. The only folks that don't really seem to get this is the stealerships. Talked to a metric dealer about a brand new (never titled) 2007 Road Star Silverado last week and they would not budge off their $12000 price. I asked if they knew the bike would lose about $5500 as soon as someone titled it. They just gave me a stupid look. I told 'em good luck with that, and walked out.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 460 Likes on 247 Posts

Most DEALERSHIPS, make a lot of money selling that "crap"... not to me... or to you.... but they wouldn't waste the floor space, if it wasn't making a profit.

While MOCO, only get a low percentage of it's profits, from that 'crap" (mostly license fees), the dealerships make a HUGE chunk of profit.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought, but I bet the average tour bike doesn't require more than 10 hours total labor to produce. Moving production to Kentucky and paying $12 an hour would therefore drop the cost about $200. Now instead of $22,000 OTD, they'll be $21,800. Realize too that $12 an hour jobs don't pay taxes or buy H-D motorcycles.

Quick Reply: BREAKING: MOCO drops and/or freezes new bike prices