General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bit paranoid

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A bit paranoid

I recently did my 1,000 mile service using M1 15/50 and rode it around the neighborhood. I noticed at idle a slightly noisier lower end.

Tonight I rode it for a better distance and listened carefully. It was still strange at idle (almost like an intermittent slight lifter tap-type of sound). It rode great. The engine seemed to be very loose and responsive unlike the pre-1,000 mile tightness I could "feel".

Like I mentioned...I am paraniod and wondering if I need to switch out of the M1 15/50 and go with another oil to help calm my nerves.

Thoughts??? Suggestions???

Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably fine but you're in Texas and it's still hot there. I would've used a 20w/60 instead of the 50. But noises are common on the harley. It has outside pushrod tubes which amplify valvetrain noises.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:13 PM
nighttrain72970
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using Mobil 1 since my first oil change. You have nothing to worry about in my opinion.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master

Its all part of the experience lol I know whatcha mean, got a new bike and keep worring bout little noises

Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your weather is similar to ours...

The oil should match the weather temps. I run HD 20/50 in winter and HD 20/60 in summer. Intermitent tappin is normal for TC engines. The 15/50 yer runnin should certainly do no harm, but you may learn from experience which is best during which season, as I did.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Mobile 1---20/50 v-twin syn in the engine. Hd primary oil in the primary. Belray heavy synthetic in the transmission. Screaming eagle fork oil in the forks. Too hot here for 15/50 in my way of thinking. Doubt if it is hurting your engine but definitely hurting your peace of mind. Only other suggestion is mixing Prozac with alcohol. Your engine will still be a little more noisy but will you care?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
tx-skydiver
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Mobile 1---20/50 v-twin syn in the engine. Hd primary oil in the primary. Belray heavy synthetic in the transmission. Screaming eagle fork oil in the forks. Too hot here for 15/50 in my way of thinking. Doubt if it is hurting your engine but definitely hurting your peace of mind. Only other suggestion is mixing Prozac with alcohol. Your engine will still be a little more noisy but will you care?
Well I have the alcohol infused correctly. No Prozac tough.

Not my first Harley, but it has been a while since having a brand new one. I guess the break-in oil is just so thick that it hides the "normal" noises???

Old 09-04-2010, 03:10 AM
PhilCat th PeaceFrog
Advanced

I don't c anywhere 10W50 recommended. At least any manual I've got. U want thicker oil that stays thick with an extremely long thread that when layed together its like liquid Teflon . That 10 for your cold start viscosity which is 2 thin in my book & and probably the not imaginary valve train sounds your hearing. My opinion dose not mean sh*t but I would dump that synthetic and run old HD petroleum 4 another 1500 mile 2 properly set that motor and THEN switch 2 Amzoil. Ya I know everyone thinks I'm full of it I don't care everyone's got an opinion. I know it gets cold in TX but I've never had a problem with Amzoil 20/50 in the winter here one time @-14 fired up like she was beggin 4 it … passed a bank clock on my way home. Have fun figuring it all out & #ridesafe

Old 09-04-2010, 06:05 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Everytime I get on either the Evo or the Twin cam the lifter noise I hear sound like marbles in a pot bouncing around to me even though it is a slight ticking that a lot of people would never notice. Can't guess the number of times I have wondered if the Evo is about to succumb to Evo classic lifter problems from wear. How many times has someone complimented your bike about the beautiful paint job but your eyes go straight to the rock ding on the lower left side of the tank? Always makes me think about something I read one time---no matter how good she looks, there is someone somewhere that is tired of her crap.
Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
Well I have the alcohol infused correctly. No Prozac tough.

Not my first Harley, but it has been a while since having a brand new one. I guess the break-in oil is just so thick that it hides the "normal" noises???

Last edited by oldairboater; 09-04-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:27 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by louisianaSVT2001
Its all part of the experience lol I know whatcha mean, got a new bike and keep worring bout little noises

Especially if you only rode metrics before,

Quick Reply: A bit paranoid