General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You agree?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:35 PM
RussianMonk
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You agree?

How is everyone doing today? I'm stuck at college and my motorcycle is at home so I thought I would write a post (I am going home this weekend to ride though)

Anyways. I have alot of people tell me "I can't believe you pay for an over priced Harley Davidson." "Tons of other bikes are just as good/better, and they are way cheaper." Anyone else hear something close to this?

Well I have been thinking about it lately, and I think the main reason I bought a Harley is because of the culture. When you buy a Harley your not only buying a bike, your buying passage into a way of life. To me the extra money is worth the following that comes along with it. I won't deny it, Harley motorcycles/merchandise is quite a bit more expensive that other motorcycle brands. To me though, its worth the extra change for the bike and the community you get to become a part of.

I know everyone says its not about what you ride, its just about riding(which I totally agree with). I'm just trying to look at it from a different perspective.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If all you want is getting from point A to point B, yes there are much cheaper vehicles out there.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:55 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you have a good as dad as my son.

Why am I so good?

Well when he's away at college at take out his nightster to keep the battery charged throughout the school year.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Brewtality
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

No special reason to get a Harley?

Yea, and no reason to get a Mustang over a Hyundai.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:05 PM
WoodyTJ
Cruiser

When I was looking to get the bike I was after a V-Twin style bike. A few people pointed me towards Victory, Triumph T'bird and some of the metrics as alternatives. At the end of the day none of them fitted the picture in my head of the bike I wanted, so the Harley won. Yes I could have had other bikes cheaper to do the same thing but would I have been happy - no. If you are happy, ride it.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:37 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

when ever someone tells me that I tell them that in 25 years this bike will still be on the road and unless wreaked, burned, or dropped in the ocean a harley can always be rebuilt or repaired

In 25 years most metric bikes will most likely be a recycled beer can.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior

I initially wanted a crotch rocket. I went looking at bikes and to entertain the ideas of others, I sat on a bunch of different cruisers. I liked the look of them but never thought they were for me.

Well, I sat on a Sportster 883, not an expensive bike by any means, but I fell in love with it. I'm glad I went with this because one of my favorite things to do is modify it to make it mine, and fix problems when they arise.

I just enjoy this bike more than I think I could enjoy any other. I didn't care that it was a Harley, that meant nothing to me. I care because I made the bike suit me, I made it mine, and that's worth any cost.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

I bought into the lifestyle and glad I did - I love it when I pull into a reataurant full of bikes and all the Harley guys come over to talk bikes and ask questions etc. It is a brotherhood - my HD feels great to ride, has a great sound and the other HD riders are just good people - yep - it`s a lifestyle thing and I love it.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:39 PM
crazykev4x4
Advanced

Union made in the United States !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Avalanche123
Cruiser

Hmmmm I forgot there were other brands of bikes....

I've been a Harley advocate since I was a kid...finally got it together at 47 and got my first one this summer. I never even thought to consider another brand.

Quick Reply: You agree?